J

Jeff Johnson

Enthusiast
I am in the process of auditioning speakers for a two channel bedroom type system and have run across the Ohm speaker website. In my price range, I'm interested in the Micro Walsh Tall. I would also consider the Ohm Walsh 100 Mk-2s. The reviews that I find sound good but I don't know how favorably they compare with the other speakers that I have auditioned such as the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40. The Ohms can only be purchased online but they do have a 120 day money back guarantee (less shipping). I will be replacing a pair of Def Tech BP8's.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Jeff

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I haven't heard any Walsh type speakers in a while. The OHM F's I heard a while ago where quite impressive. They did need a lot of power. I hear that their current models are more efficient. A return policy does give you the chance to hear them in your own environment. It is after all the best place to hear anything. Direct from the manufacturer also tends to save money. Of course, they may have the same devious plan that Magnepan has. Get a pair of their smallest speakers in your room and blow you away causing you to buy a larger more expensive pair. :cool:

cam

cam

Audioholic
Jeff Johnson said:
I am in the process of auditioning speakers for a two channel bedroom type system and have run across the Ohm speaker website. In my price range, I'm interested in the Micro Walsh Tall. I would also consider the Ohm Walsh 100 Mk-2s. The reviews that I find sound good but I don't know how favorably they compare with the other speakers that I have auditioned such as the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40. The Ohms can only be purchased online but they do have a 120 day money back guarantee (less shipping). I will be replacing a pair of Def Tech BP8's.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Jeff
Auditioning speakers means you have to actually listen to them. The favourable reviews were done with other peoples ears, not yours. Never ever get swayed by a review especially a speaker that you can't actually walk into a store and "AUDITION" yourself. I could give an excellent review right now on a product, but unless you can hear and see it yourself, my review means squat.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Back in the late 70's and early 80's, the Ohm F and I's were everybody's favorite speaker. In 83 the F's retailed for about $4500 and the I's were a bit more. Their current crop is probably as good if not better, but as everyone will tell you, you have to listen. Does Ohm's return policy include shipping? If so, it may be worth the risk.

A technical bit, the F used the inerted Walsh cone as a full range driver for what was about 50 - 18500 Hz. The I used conventional drivers with a range of 16 to 22000 Hz.

By the time I could afford them, they disappeared off the scope - the internet not being what it is today.

J

Jeff Johnson

Enthusiast
Ohm

Mudcat,
Unfortunately if I didn't like the speakers, I would have to eat the shipping. If not, I would definitely give them a shot.

Cam,
I have heard several speakers locally including Paradigm, B&W, and Kirksaeter. I would agree with you completely that one shouldn't buy speakers based exclusively on reviews. In my reading of audio magazines, I don't know if I have ever seen a particularly negative review.

Thanks,
Jeff

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
After B(l)ose started sueing magazines for negative reviews they all pulled back on the negative language. You have to read between the lines in order to really get what they are saying. Also, check the $ensible $ound for well written down to earth reviews. :cool:

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Jeff!

Do not hesitate to try Ohms! I've mentioned a couple of times here how much I've been digging them, but you should try yourself. There is no better way to hear speakers than in your own listening space, with your own equipment, without salesmen (oh, and with YOUR OWN ears).

Because you can't audition them in a store reviews are a good start. Did you read the review in sixmoons.com? After I read it, I emailed the reviewer, and picked his brain a little. It really helped because I wasn't expecting anything performance-wise that didn't happen. I have a little review on this site in the review section if you want to check it out.

If you call the guys at Ohm they'll help with model selection.

U

Unregistered

Jeff, over at the ecoustics forum, someone posted a mini review of the Micro Walshes. It was one of those reviews which make you say, "I really have got to check these out!" I tried to find the link but unfortunately could not. All I could say is that, when I can afford a new stereo set up, I am going to try those speakers out.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Small world. I've been looking at those myself and have been corresponding with them regarding a complete surround system. It's been quite a while since I've listened to Ohm speakers but I really enjoyed them at the time.....my wallet didn't match up though :( A friend has had the model F's for over 25 years and still uses them today...as a testament to their longevity I guess. I ended up sending them photos and a drawing of my room layout to see if they'd be right for my surroundings/room.

Mort

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Jeff - PLease be certain your bedroom can facilatate omnipolar speakers before 'trying'. Since the dispersion of the treble is uniform at all horizontal angles, such a speaker will be more sensitive to wall reflections from the side/rear by a great margin. A a general rule, you should not have the rear of the speaker closer then 2.5' to the rear wall, or about 1.5-2' from the side walls. This is true for just about any speaker, but with more directive designs, they are far more tolerant with closer proximity. You can, of course, use diffusors or damping materials to reduce teh reflections, but such a speaker(Omni) is designed/voiced with the reflections intended to be part of the sounfiled. In addition, reducing the reflections with diffusors/damping panels will reduce the special ambient effects that omnipolars make possible.

-Chris

Jeff Johnson said:
What do you think?
Thanks,
Jeff

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I totally agree with WmAx. Omni's, dipolar and bipolars need room behind them. Omni's also to the side. Di and bi polars are not so sensitive to side wall reflections. None of the above like LEDE (live end dead end ) rooms. I have seen elsewhere on this site a suggestion for LEDE. Excellent for boxes! :cool:

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
LEDE :confused: Can't seem to find a reference to that concept, could you elaborate?

Thanks

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
LEDE Live end dead end. A room where the end where the speakers are located is heavily damped. Both side walls, ceiling and floor out to approximately 1/3 of the room length. This serves to damp all reflections from the sides ceiling and floor much like a anechoic chamber. This can be VERY good for forward firing box type speakers. Not recommended for bipolar dipolar or omnidirectional speakers. They rely on reflections from the room surfaces for some of the spaciousness. Also they are voiced tone wise for the reflections and sound extremely rolled of when damped this way. [I should add the only speaker I've ever heard of that attempted to truly be omnidirectional was a dodecehedron with speakers on each surface while sitting on a pole.]:cool:

Last edited:
C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
The Ohms don't rely on room reflections. You do have to give them some room, but not a lot. Although they are omnis, they actually damp the rear of the speakers to minimize rear reflections.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis