"OEM" In-Wall Speakers

M

millsryno

Audiophyte
I see a lot of these "OEM" brand in-wall speakers on eBay. Are these legit speakers? I see so many of them on there....

I am in the beginning stages of putting together a budget surround sound system and I have to go with in-walls/ceilings. Any recommendations? I was thinking I would probably want to find something with a rotating tweeter so I can better direct the sound. Is this a "must have" feature? My couch is backed right up to a wall and because of hallways there are not any walls directly to the right and left to mount speakers. They have to either go on the ceiling or the wall behind the couch which extends one foot longer than the couch on each side.

Also I am a little confused on frequency. There is so much variation on this between manufacturers and models by the same manufacturer. I see some high end stuff with smaller ranges and I see some higher end stuff with larger ranges. Is there a rule of thumb I should be using as a guideline? Being the noob I am, I would think a larger range is better.

Would I be better off with 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 with the logicstics of where my couch and walls are located? What combination of in-wall, in-ceiling speakers would be best for me? I sit about 11 feet from a 42 inch plasma mounted above a fireplace. In-walls/ceiling are my only option and I know they are not as good as other types. Thanks for you help!!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
millsryno said:
I see a lot of these "OEM" brand in-wall speakers on eBay. Are these legit speakers? I see so many of them on there....

My couch is backed right up to a wall and because of hallways there are not any walls directly to the right and left to mount speakers. They have to either go on the ceiling or the wall behind the couch which extends one foot longer than the couch on each side.

Also I am a little confused on frequency. There is so much variation on this between manufacturers and models by the same manufacturer. I see some high end stuff with smaller ranges and I see some higher end stuff with larger ranges. Is there a rule of thumb I should be using as a guideline? Being the noob I am, I would think a larger range is better.

Would I be better off with 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 with the logicstics of where my couch and walls are located?
looks like alot of ground to cover here. easy ones first..

if your sofa is already against the back wall, then you would do well to use just 5.1. you could do 7.1 ok if you didn't have the limit of in-wall speakers. in-wall speakers have a very narrow sound cone, so by the time you got a set of side-surround speakers close enough to your sitting position to hear them, they would be right next to the rear surrounds anyway.

frequency range is only moderately important to your application. in general, the wider the range (especially on the low end), the better the speaker. since you are working with the surround portion only (if I read right), the surrounds really only need to do a good job on producing the mid-range and tweeter frequencies. A speaker that could produce 80 Hz to 18KHz would work very well. You just don't want something that starts much over 80. A speaker that reaches over 20KHz is beyond the range of human hearing (but if your dog watches alot of Animal Planet, you could probably score some points with him on this one). if you are going with mains, you want 60Hz or lower as a starting point, and much lower if you don't plan to use a subwoofer..

since you are so close to the back wall, your best bet is to place the speakers either in the ceiling or behind the sofa at the normal height for the ears of a person who would be sitting. you simply don't have enough spacing for the sound to spread out very quickly.

a rotating tweeter is useful, but good speaker placement is better. as far as OEM speakers, there are too many reputable brand out there at decent prices to risk getting some moon-made import.

if you are planning to use in-walls for the front, you're going to need help from someone alot more used to them than me. it might be tough to get a good spread of sound (although you can get some well-regarded ON-wall speakers- these NHT speakers run $ 399 each at accessoriesforless.com)

Attachments

M

millsryno

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback Leprkon.

I made a drawing of my family room to scale. If anybody has some good suggestions for me that would be great. I have a Panny TH-42PWD7UY, SA 8300HD STB, Yammy HTR-5740, older JBL PSW-1000 subwoofer, Sony PS2, no speakers, no DVD player.

My budget for this entire set up is $3500. I have already spent $2550 so I have $950 left to spend. I would consider selling the receiver on ebay since it is still new in box if you think that would be better for me. I can get $200 plus shipping for it with no problem.

The only catch here is that I have to have in wall/ceiling speakers or something very, very small like Bose cubes. Anything larger than that will not fly with the wife. She is very particular with the room's decor and will refuse to let me have bookshelf speakers or floor standing speakers.

Thanks again for anybody's help!!

Attachments

N

nwbearcats98

Audiophyte
My wife made me get in-walls as well

I found some BIC speakers on buy.com that are very affordable and sound very good. I purchased the 6 1/2" Concept-6 speakers (rectangular). I don't know if all in-walls are paintable but these are. I don't remember where I got the center channel though. Also, finding a powered in-wall subwoofer is difficult. that is the only speaker that I don't have as an in-wall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis