odd sound drop out with Zappa audio DVD

O

OliverB

Audioholic Intern
I'm not sure if this is the right place on the forum, pls excuse if not...

I just bought my first surround audio DVD, Frank Zappa's quaudiophiliac. A great CD/DVD, but once I reach song #9 the audio suddenly shuts down. The disk is still playing and the counter is running, but there's no sound. If I stop it and re-start it, audio comes back just fine and plays to the end.

Bt that's rather :eek: :confused: :mad: :( :confused: :mad: :eek:

I can't see any defect on the disk, anybody have an idea why this might happen? It's encoded in DTS. And since it plays just fine to that spot and fine after, I guess it's a defect on the disk? I don't understand why the signal would be cut out completely instead of maybe giving a 'digital click' or something if there's an error on the disk.

Anybody ever encounter this kind of problem?

Thanks

Oliver

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It does sound like a defect in the disc. The first step in dealing with disc errors is error correction. If that fails, the player resorts to error concealment (interpolation). If that fails, it mutes.

I did have one CD that skipped badly at a particular point in one track. I couldn't see any visble defect in the disc at first, but on close examination there was a tiny little bump. I took it back and got another one and it had the same problem. It was probably from the same shipment to the store. I ended up getting my money back and buying it elsewhere and the new one is fine. I would return the disc for another and see if the problem remains.

D

DISCMAN

Audioholic Intern
I had a Mitsuibishi player that did this on a couple of discs. My Yamaha doesn't do it on any of them. What kind of player are you using?

O

OliverB

Audioholic Intern
it's a toshiba. Under closer examination I did see small circular scratches or cracks around the area where I'd expect that song to start. Returned it to best buy, it did the same on their player.

I will have to buy it again though, excellent disk!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis