Odd problem, a dilemma & potential solution with power amplifier.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
I am using a Sherbourn 5/1500A for my 4 height channels. It is a tank of an amp. However it behaves strangely. When I run Audyssey calibration (Marantz AV 7704) quite often one or more of the channels will sound like it is cutting in & out, almost a sputtering sound. I have played music through the channels both on the bench and just plugging a source in and playing through the ceiling speakers and everything sound clean. Other tests I have done;

• I hooked a Crown K1 to the Sound Processor and tested 2 channels at a time using pink noise from the "Levels" menu on the sound processor. No problems.
  • I continued testing the 5/1500A listening to music for 2 or 3 hours and occasionally switching channels. No problems.
  • I made some slightly longer patch cables (banana plugs) so I could put the Sherbourn on the floor in front of the cabinet and run the output through the ceiling speakers.
  • I used the outside 4 channels for the 4 height speakers. Ran the level test (pink noise), and got sputtering and cutouts on at least two of the channels. tried about 10 times and had the problem on at least 3 of the channels 2 or 3 times.

In talking (email) with the tech folks at Emotiva, who bought Sherbourn, the technician said that cutting in and out was a common problem with these amps, and relays and caps needed to be replace on each amplifier board. The price would be $350-$400 plus ~$100 shipping. I would probably have done it but the shipping pushed it a little out of the budget. So I have waffled and done nothing for about a year.

One dilemma I have is "Does the amp cut out during normal playback?" I have played test Atmos tracks and can't detect any problem, and during normal Atmos & DTS video watching I haven't heard any problems, but I am not sure it would be noticeable.

I had an advertisement from Emotiva drop into my email today for their Bas-X 4 channel amplifier. It is only 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms, but this should be OK for height channels. It is $499.

The purpose of posting this is to get feedback about;

1. Has anyone ever seen this kind of issue?
  2. Does anyone have experience with Emotiva Bas-X amplifiers?
  3. What other alternatives might I consider?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis