Odd Layout for room...

X

xhellionx

Audiophyte
So I'm at the point where I want to upgrade my home theater. I currently have a 52" TV with an outdated (10 year old) inexpensive Sony soundbar system. I'm looking at spending $1000-$1500+ on a receiver and speakers. My wife and I spend a lot of time at home watching movies, etc. so I wanted to invest in a little better setup to enjoy the experience more. I am not an audiophile so I am not necessarily looking for an insane setup...in fact, I am not even asking for help here on the component piece, I will figure that out on my own.

My issue is the room layout. It's not ideal to say the least. I made a crude paint drawing of the basic layout. we can't really move things around too much because the couch is SO large, there really isn't anywhere else to put it based on the room. Also, the DirecTV connection is where the TV currently is on the drawing so can't really move the TV setup either. My question is, would it be possible to get a decent surround sound system working on this layout? If so, where would the speaker placement be? Would I opt for 7.1 or 5.1? Or based on the layout, would I just be better off with another soundbar?

I know I am basically asking for "free" advice here, so I completely understand if no one replies or is willing to help. I just thought I would try given the amount I have learned on this site over the years from great people.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis