Not sure if I should take the deal on an AE sub

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Hi, my quest for an affordable subwoofer led me to a secondhand Acoustic Energy 12" sub, with 150 watt delivery.
I have a Yamaha RX-V373 (peaks at 100w per channel).
The price for the sub is pretty good, but very limited information is on Google for Acoustic Energy, and if I'm not mistaken it was manufactured in the 90s.
Does this brand ring a bell? Should I invest in a new subwoofer instead?
Pictures seem like it's in good condition and the seller is co-operative...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not familiar with this brand....so looked around a bit, is this the Aegis sub I found that seems to match up to what you posted? Found a manual for that one and the spec section is lacking as to specifics of performance and what I do see isn't impressive. What is the price? The wattage doesn't tell you much at all. Nothing particularly wrong with a used sub altho some plate amps aren't famous for long lives either, but often are limited to local pickup due expense of shipping subs. Personally I'd likely pass on it with so little info about the sub's specifications/performance.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Not familiar with this brand....so looked around a bit, is this the Aegis sub I found that seems to match up to what you posted? Found a manual for that one and the spec section is lacking as to specifics of performance and what I do see isn't impressive. What is the price? The wattage doesn't tell you much at all. Nothing particularly wrong with a used sub altho some plate amps aren't famous for long lives either, but often are limited to local pickup due expense of shipping subs. Personally I'd likely pass on it with so little info about the sub's specifications/performance.
In local currency, it translates to about 150USD.
Yes, it's that Aegis series subwoofer. Indeed the manual lacks information. It seems it was a british company that went bankrupt or otherwise out of business, since they did have a website which is now unreachable.

I looked at this Dayton subwoofer and it sounds like a good product, but absolutely no seller on Amazon or e-Bay sends this to Israel. Only option is via UPS and that more than doubles the price. Though, these are roughly the prices of similar new subwoofers here anyways, no idea why. (Consumer electronics taxes aren't high at all).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Outside of US changes sub choices quite a bit usually. I see this website but no current subs that I saw. Not familiar with Israel particularly as to what you have available tho....

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Outside of US changes sub choices quite a bit usually. I see this website but no current subs that I saw. Not familiar with Israel particularly as to what you have available tho....
I found a few more local deals from a variety of makers. Do any of these ring a bell, and do they have good reputation (if anyone here knows)?

ADC
OSD Audio
Prosonab
KEF (namely the PSW 2010 model. Heard this model has a slight buzzing noise)
Pure Acoustics
Sherwood

All those are roughly the same price secondhand. I can give specifix models for each. Size and wattage is similar in all. I'm leaning towards the KEF one, but does anyone know the others?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
KEF would be the only one I'd consider among those brands without research (and doubt that would change my opinion much), but KEF wouldn't be a go-to particularly for subs. A demonstration would confirm such a buzz, but "reputations" can be weird on the internet for what problems people have experienced and under what conditions. How about Klipsch, SVS, XTZ, BK Elec, Paradigm for some other brands that I'm guessing could be there?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
KEF would be the only one I'd consider among those brands without research (and doubt that would change my opinion much), but KEF wouldn't be a go-to particularly for subs. A demonstration would confirm such a buzz, but "reputations" can be weird on the internet for what problems people have experienced and under what conditions. How about Klipsch, SVS, XTZ, BK Elec, Paradigm for some other brands that I'm guessing could be there?
Those other brands I couldn't find anything secondhand around my reachable area. Well, I'll check with this seller if it's a malfunctioning unit too... I hope it's not too "movie oriented" for a sub though

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
I've found another deal on a Pure Acoustics 10 inch powered sub. Did you hear about this maker, is it any good?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Let's say I do decide on a new subwoofer, I looked at SVS SB1000 as an option. It sounds mighty, but it's a class D sub. The price is pretty high for me (700 bucks), but if it'll last for infinity I'm willing to take it Does the class affect anything?
I guess that's my direction now.

EDIT : I bought an SB-1000. I got a good price on them, including rubber for the legs and a cable. Can't wait to hear it in action.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most subs use class D amps these days. If it's a good quality amp, it's a good quality amp....I'm more bothered about plate amps as a form factor myself but have no problem with class D amps particularly....as long as they're of a good desig no issues to worry about.

Try this article perhaps https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-classes

ps Congrats on the sub, but why did you get a sealed model instead of ported?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Most subs use class D amps these days. If it's a good quality amp, it's a good quality amp....I'm more bothered about plate amps as a form factor myself but have no problem with class D amps particularly....as long as they're of a good desig no issues to worry about.

Try this article perhaps https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-classes

ps Congrats on the sub, but why did you get a sealed model instead of ported?
There's always the myth that sealed are better for music, plus the sealed version was on sale with "free" sub cable and "free" anti-rattle hard rubber for the sub's legs, so my neighbors won't call the cops. "Free" because nothing is free in those deals. Though, the store that I bought it is having a contest, they're giving a 300 bucks worth of coupon for SVS products to whoever writes the best story about why he deserves the coupon. Not many entered the contest, and I wrote a damn good story :cool:.

I'll update when I pick it up and connect it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At least you're aware of the mythical thing :) They're smaller, sometimes that's the reason. If you have enough of them it doesn't really matter anyways (plus sealed is easier to build :) ).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis