ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Since I finished my HT system I have been watching all ‘ACTION” movies that were listed as great “bass” movies and it was great. This past weekend I started watching “normal” movies and I have to tell you…I am even more impressed with my system than I thought. Let me explain- I was fixated on just blowing myself away with reference level, hit you in the stomach, deep, deep sound effects in the movies; I was impressed with what my system would do. This past weekend we began watching movies “she” wanted to see. I thought I would be bored. We watched several “girl” movies at lower volumes and I heard sounds that I have never heard before. It actually made the movies quite enjoyable. I mean we watched some movies that I had seen before that seemed boring and I never even noticed the sound effects. Now, all of the sudden there were exciting sounds coming from everywhere. This is fun stuff!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A good HT should do more than bludgeon you with sheer impact

It should also gently caress you with gentle, subtle, sounds you never knew existed before.

If you want to show her you can cater to her feminine tastes and still have some acoustic fun, try "Chocolat".

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
addendum...

...or "Phantom of the Opera"

This "edit" thing doesn't work. I went to add this within a muinute of the original post and it wouldn't save the change.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Some sort...

...This "edit" thing doesn't work. I went to add this within a muinute of the original post and it wouldn't save the change.
...of ongoing "problem" caused by some posters going back way after the fact and futzing with their posts...

There was some mention of the cause and effect in the Comments forum...you may have to do a full multi-step edit rather than a quickie

jimHJJ(...like everything else in life, a few miscreants ruin it for everyone else...)

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Uh...

Resident Loser said:
you may have to do a full multi-step edit rather than a quickie
What in tarnation is a "multi-step" edit?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A new system will do that to you. At our little local shoot out, I heard something on MY speakers that I never heard before, simply because I was listening very closely presumably. That said, having gear you like also means you pay more attention...

When it comes to movies, sound is a HUGE factor, even with movies that one would take the sound for granted on. Sound is at least half the experience of watching a movie, and goes a long way to bringing you into the world of the characters.

By the way, "chick" movies are not "normal" movies...

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
By the way, "chick" movies are not "normal" movies...[/QUOTE]

Good point JG...

It still cracks me up that my original goal was to get a system that was "a little better" than my HTIB and now I can safely say that going to the movies is a downgrade from wathing them at home.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Good question...

What in tarnation is a "multi-step" edit?
...I just sort of dumbed my way through it from the quick edit screen to the advanced and did some, what seems to be, redundant things...I'll try to edit this and this time I'll pay attention...

jimHJJ(...off to the edit I go...)

Addendum: Well, that time it went without a glitch...

Post addendum: Ditto this try also

Post-post addendum: Well, that's it...I need a nap.

PPP addendum: Nap over, still works

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...or "Phantom of the Opera"

This "edit" thing doesn't work. I went to add this within a muinute of the original post and it wouldn't save the change.
I had that happen too. I guess they reduced the window to almost nothing now?:confused:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, that is a good one, LOL :D
That's ok; tonight I get to watch the last Lord of the Ring. For some reason I never could get into these but once I got the new set-up I have quite enjoyed them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
But, be careful.

That's ok; tonight I get to watch the last Lord of the Ring. For some reason I never could get into these but once I got the new set-up I have quite enjoyed them.
If you watch too many Reese Witherspoon movies, your male appendage starts to shrink and eventually disappears entirely and you begin to develop a female apparatus. :rolleyes:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you watch too many Reese Witherspoon movies, your male appendage starts to shrink and eventually disappears entirely and you begin to develop a female apparatus. :rolleyes:
ummm...I love the female apparatus so it may be worth a try. Can you name some Reese Witherspoon movies for me?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Ask your wife. I'm sure she knows 'em.

ummm...I love the female apparatus so it may be worth a try. Can you name some Reese Witherspoon movies for me?
I like 'em too, only on women though.

But, if you want one that bad there are clinics that will do it with drugs, hormone shots and an operation. All in all, it's less painless that way. :D

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
This past weekend I started watching “normal” movies and I have to tell you…I am even more impressed with my system than I thought.
Greg,

You built a good system, so you have every right to be pleased.

I remember when I first heard my 5.1 system, which was completed last year. I thought, "Wow!" With the right movies, it's magic. Close friends of ours wanted to hear it--they have a not-so-good 2.0 system--so they offered to bring the new "King Kong," which got stellar reviews for dynamic 5.1 sound. One of our guests was sitting a little off to the side, and when the first big sound came out of the surround speaker near her, she literally jumped in her seat. She was surprised, but then got in the grove. She liked it!

Needless to say, my girlfriend and I watched a lot of movies right away to play with our new toy. We both love movies, and having theater-like sound at home is down-right fun. But I'm not telling you anything you don't know, am I? :p

Here's a caveat, though: We discovered that many movies have bad sound editing. Even if they're supposed to be 5.1, many movies and documentaries have been designed to throw little sound to the surround speakers. Even using my Yammy's DSP programs didn't help. So if you come across this problem, it's not your system. I posted a thread on this last year, in case you want to look it up and read some of the replies from people who are far more knowledgeable about HT than I am.

Enjoy your system!

Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Nothing wrong with the chick flicks; they can be fun and interesting. What we had a good exchange was what is 'Normal' movie. :D
Maybe it is relative to the person.:)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I like 'em too, only on women though.

But, if you want one that bad there are clinics that will do it with drugs, hormone shots and an operation. All in all, it's less painless that way. :D
You are sick Smeagol....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, I misspoke.

You are sick Smeagol....
the ending should have been "it's less painFUL that way."

So, can I take it by the lack of a smily (indicating humor) in your post that my sense of humor offends you?

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
the ending should have been "it's less painFUL that way."

So, can I take it by the lack of a smily (indicating humor) in your post that my sense of humor offends you?
I dont think I have every been offended before;I just dont attach much...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis