nordost IC's & Speaker Cable

F

fallencr

Audiophyte
Do these cables measure any better than zip cord in the RLC parameters. They sure sound better! :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Nordost claims they do (according to the specs on their site), but I've never seen any third-party measurements, so there's no conclusive way to answer at the moment. And I doubt Nordost will send some to AH for measurement....

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
And I doubt Nordost will send some to AH for measurement....
I can send my nordost cables to audioholics for a "review".

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
fallencr said:
Do these cables measure any better than zip cord in the RLC parameters. They sure sound better! :D
Even if they measure a little better, you need to know that it will be not audibly different. The human sensitivity for such differences is rather poor. And, you would need a factor of 20 or so to even consider a serious, controlled comparison.

As what you perceive is just that, has nothing to do with reality, but your biases and brain misleading you.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have yet to understand why people think electrical current can somehow be manipulated by "magical" wires.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
"SPM transmits signals at over 95% the speed of light allowing you to precisely hear the starts and stops the timing, of a musical performance."

Are you serious? This is form the Nordost site! So the cables actually speed up the electrical current. Damn they should work for the DOD I'm sure they could apply that technology to more than speaker wire! :)

B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
You would have to be deaf to not notice a difference in speaker cable. My local dealer gave me a set of Solar Wind speaker cable and the difference was huge! I can't speak to the IC's.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
buckyg4 said:
You would have to be deaf to not notice a difference in speaker cable. My local dealer gave me a set of Solar Wind speaker cable and the difference was huge! I can't speak to the IC's.
Ohh your cable only has 92% speed of light Propagation Delay not as nice as the reference stuff. :)

I really wanted to throw a joke in there about Captain Planet but I'll refrain.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I just don't understand (honestly). If the material that your source and amp/reciever is comprised of is not the same quality or better throughout the entire circuitry as the speaker wire you have then what's the point? I highly doubt your reciever and dvd/cd player has silver plated circuitry. So if you feed silver wires with regular metal or copper outputs then how can it improve? It will only be as pure as the source signal right?

Last edited:
B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
I can't explain it and I don't really care about the #s, but all I can say is go to a dealer and try them. Any decent dealer of any higher end product will give you a pair of cables for free to try out for a week or so because it truly does depend on the setup. Its pointless to question it until you have listened to them. The difference was drastic for my setup, and I didn't have bad speaker wire to start with.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
buckyg4 said:
I can't explain it and I don't really care about the #s, but all I can say is go to a dealer and try them. Any decent dealer of any higher end product will give you a pair of cables for free to try out for a week or so because it truly does depend on the setup. Its pointless to question it until you have listened to them. The difference was drastic for my setup, and I didn't have bad speaker wire to start with.
I have'nt tried the captain planet er I mean solar wind speaker cable but I'm up to the challenge. I have heard and tried different types of "high end" cable and have never been impressed in the least, but never the less I will take you up on your offer and get back to you.

B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
What other speaker cables have you tried? The only other ones I tried out were the transparent audio cable (not sure on the model but they were a couple hundered dollars). Compared to what I had in my system they were only slightly better in stereo sound (which is what I was looking to improve) and equivalent in 5.1. If one were looking to improve 5.1 I wouldn't look to changing speaker cables, but i'm now a believer in improving stereo sound.

The Nordost were by far the cheapest option to improve my 2 channel stereo sound. I didn't even try the Blue Heaven's which are the next line above mine and have great reviews over at audioreview.com, but my dealer didn't have an used/demo in stock and I wasn't about to spend $500 on a cable.

My other options to get a higher quality sound were to buy a new DVD player with a higher quality DAC, a separate CD player (that was not going to happen since I don't have the cabinet space), or a new pre/pro with a good DAC. All of these options would have been 3 times or more the amount of money to get equivalent sound to what i'm getting now.

Anyways let me know..

BTW my system is:

Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD Player
Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX (Used as a preamp until I feel like upgrading to a true pre/pro)
McCormack DNA-1 & HT-1 Power Amps

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Transparent is a ripoff. Check out this picture from CEDIA, a big even for custom installers.

You think they actually care about quality?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
Transparent is a ripoff. Check out this picture from CEDIA, a big even for custom installers.

You think they actually care about quality?
Dang that looks pretty incriminating!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

krzywica said:
I have yet to understand why people think electrical current can somehow be manipulated by "magical" wires.

It makes them feel better :D That there is something more out there. Why do we do so many dumb things, or believe in so many crazy ideas?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

buckyg4 said:

Yes, can you tell us the price of those cables? Then I can tell you the huge differences.

But I can speak about the ICs and speaker cables. And, to your perceptions. Your perc eptions is like putty, moldable at whim. Unreliable at time. This being one of those times.

The cables are just expensive cables, nothing more.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

buckyg4 said:
I can't explain it and I don't really care about the #s, but all I can say is go to a dealer and try them.
buckyg4 said:
May I suggest the same about consulting Sylvia Brown?
Oh, but I can explain her, your perceptions, and those wires.

Any decent dealer of any higher end product will give you a pair of cables for free to try out for a week or so because it truly does depend on the setup.

not productive, useless, worthless waste of time. Wire is wire.

Its pointless to question it until you have listened to them.

No, it is not pointless.
Yes, your perception is very fragile and fallable. And yes we already know, no need to reinvent the wheel, touch a hot plate, etc.

The difference was drastic for my setup, and I didn't have bad speaker wire to start with.

Yep, people do have those perceptions. But we know why that is. The brain plays tricks on us all th etime. Part of human nature. Maybe that can be eliminated by genetic modification one day so we are not so gullible. Hey, that will put to thirds of us out of business. Maybe not such a good idea.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
krzywica said:
"SPM transmits signals at over 95% the speed of light allowing you to precisely hear the starts and stops the timing, of a musical performance."

Are you serious? This is form the Nordost site! So the cables actually speed up the electrical current. Damn they should work for the DOD I'm sure they could apply that technology to more than speaker wire! :)
In point of fact, the prop velocity is directly tied to the total energy storage within a cable, the effective dielectric constant of the wire, and the inductance spillage. All of this is related to the geometry of the package..

The DOD does indeed use this parameter, however their requirements are quite different. -40 to +150 C operation, sometimes cryogenic and sometimes over 200 C. Within arnament packages where prop velocity consistency is an absolute....within high vibration enviro's..

They actually don't speed up the current per se, the electrons still travel at a snail's pace..the energy prop velocity, they do have a handle on..however, it is not the prop velocity that they are "hearing", nor is the difference between 95% and 10% even an issue...the effective DC is, however, the issue..but there are no wire vendors out there who even understand the concept.. because they do not have the talent or desire, or both..to correctly engineer their product.

Cheers, John

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis