noob with a few ? and comments

K

kingpin

Audiophyte
hey everybody,
hope to be able to participate in this forum without prejudice :rolleyes: being a Yamaha lover since i was a kid.

here is my question and thoughts on a specific matter.
Equalizers.

I have had and have been using an eq. for years now. Reason
being, i just prefer to be able to shape the sound to different sources as I please. My family used to own a club in downtown Toronto with a club on the main floor and a bar with live bands downstairs. i used to love playing around with sound equipment(what guy doesn't) and was told this by our special events soundman that worked for Yamaha.
"an eq is not necessarily used for boosting signals, it is supposed to be used for the removal or diminishment of bad or unwanted signals."

agree or not, I tend to agree with this. I think an eq is priceless in most enviroments where you cannot always control variables(eg, budget, furniture, building materials).

Personally, whenever I listen to music whether it is 2or4 channels the eq is adjusted to my preferences.
Then again I also love to have big a$# front towers with big a$# speakers in them. :D

O.K. now for my question. my beloved eq. stopped working a few days ago.
It turns on powers up but it isn't working. Here is the funny thing though.
If I change the voltage switch on the back of the unit(should be on 110 volts)to 220 volts it works fine.

Is this a problem? If so, what is going to happen.

I took the cover off hoping to find that maybe a fuse had blown but there is no such thing inside.

Question 2. Can you or can you not switch the usage of auto or home spekers vice-versa. I have 2 18" pro aduio subs, that were used for live bands. I know 18 is big but these are of unbelievable sound and quality. They were made here in Toronto by a company called Fabian Acoustic of Canada. Same guys from the now Fabaudio.

well thats all for now, and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

kingpin

my equipment
Yamaha 5-disc dvd/DVD C996 :cool:
Pioneer receiver /VSX-D608/no flaming on this one
Kenwood Laserdisc/LVD-320/just for appearance purposes :eek:
Toshiba vcr
Yamaha mains /NS-T849 MKII
Pyramid studio pro EQ.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
kingpin said:
hey everybody,
hope to be able to participate in this forum without prejudice :rolleyes: being a Yamaha lover since i was a kid.

here is my question and thoughts on a specific matter.
Equalizers.

I have had and have been using an eq. for years now. Reason
being, i just prefer to be able to shape the sound to different sources as I please. My family used to own a club in downtown Toronto with a club on the main floor and a bar with live bands downstairs. i used to love playing around with sound equipment(what guy doesn't) and was told this by our special events soundman that worked for Yamaha.
"an eq is not necessarily used for boosting signals, it is supposed to be used for the removal or diminishment of bad or unwanted signals."

agree or not, I tend to agree with this. I think an eq is priceless in most enviroments where you cannot always control variables(eg, budget, furniture, building materials).

Personally, whenever I listen to music whether it is 2or4 channels the eq is adjusted to my preferences.
Then again I also love to have big a$# front towers with big a$# speakers in them. :D

O.K. now for my question. my beloved eq. stopped working a few days ago.
It turns on powers up but it isn't working. Here is the funny thing though.
If I change the voltage switch on the back of the unit(should be on 110 volts)to 220 volts it works fine.

Is this a problem? If so, what is going to happen.

I took the cover off hoping to find that maybe a fuse had blown but there is no such thing inside.

Question 2. Can you or can you not switch the usage of auto or home spekers vice-versa. I have 2 18" pro aduio subs, that were used for live bands. I know 18 is big but these are of unbelievable sound and quality. They were made here in Toronto by a company called Fabian Acoustic of Canada. Same guys from the now Fabaudio.

well thats all for now, and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

kingpin

my equipment
Yamaha 5-disc dvd/DVD C996 :cool:
Pioneer receiver /VSX-D608/no flaming on this one
Kenwood Laserdisc/LVD-320/just for appearance purposes :eek:
Toshiba vcr
Yamaha mains /NS-T849 MKII
Pyramid studio pro EQ.
Since your EQ is working when you switch the voltage, it would tell me that the voltage selector is not working, perhaps a cold solder joint on the 120 side, finally giving away, or in that path before the 220 is also into the system.

You can interchange speakers usage as you indicated but you need to be careful. This would work best for subs.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I don't really have any intelligent fixes for your EQ crashing.

However, using pro or car stereo speakers at home is no problem. You may have to check out whether they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm, and drive them with an appropriate amplifier, but other than that, there should be no issues.

I have done this myself. The 18" sub in my sig (photos avail on systems forum) is a car stereo sub. If you want to make a DIY sub, it's much easier if you start with a speaker from the car audio world, as they are easier to find, and designed for high SPLs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis