Noob System Review Request

G

GaryM001

Audiophyte
Hey all.

I already have:

43" Vizio E43-F1 (does 4K, HDR, HDMI 2.0)
Sony UBX-P700 Blu Ray (Ultra HD)

I have a 30-year-old stereo that included a receiver / cassette player unit and a record player that I had been running sound through happily but it recently left for the big home theater in the sky. So was looking at the following replacement components to get me back to where I was under a reasonable budget.

Emotiva T0 towers, maybe C1+ center down the line
UTurn Orbit (I'm from MA so want to support local manufacturing)
Denon S650H AV receiver (which I have the opportunity to get newly used)

I don't expect to get a subwoofer as I expect condo living (and therefore neighbors to not annoy) for the foreseeable future. I'm also sort of hoping that using fewer than the maximum number of channels would help me to drive the 4-ohm rated speakers more safely.

Are there any fatal flaws I'm missing before I pull the triggers? Is there a stereo amp route (rather than AVR route) alternative I should consider?

Thanks for your help.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Seems like it should be OK. Those towers probably won't be the most neutral, but there aren't that many floor-standing speakers that are less expensive. I would wager you could get a much more accurate sound for roughly the same price with powered monitors, but the set-up for those would be a bit more involved.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hey all.

I already have:

43" Vizio E43-F1 (does 4K, HDR, HDMI 2.0)
Sony UBX-P700 Blu Ray (Ultra HD)

I have a 30-year-old stereo that included a receiver / cassette player unit and a record player that I had been running sound through happily but it recently left for the big home theater in the sky. So was looking at the following replacement components to get me back to where I was under a reasonable budget.

Emotiva T0 towers, maybe C1+ center down the line
UTurn Orbit (I'm from MA so want to support local manufacturing)
Denon S650H AV receiver (which I have the opportunity to get newly used)

I don't expect to get a subwoofer as I expect condo living (and therefore neighbors to not annoy) for the foreseeable future. I'm also sort of hoping that using fewer than the maximum number of channels would help me to drive the 4-ohm rated speakers more safely.

Are there any fatal flaws I'm missing before I pull the triggers? Is there a stereo amp route (rather than AVR route) alternative I should consider?

Thanks for your help.
Emotiva should be fine , if t0 aren’t loud enough use them for surround .
C2 is a lot better but c1 may be fine .
You would have to hit some series high spl to annoying neighbors. One or two quality subs will improve sound quality a lot . Junk Cheap ones are the boomy annoying ones .
Stereo amps are trash usually avr are king these days .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
oh I must had mistaken it for stereo receivers, stereo amps are fine for powering speakers hooked to expensive avrs with outputs for preamp.
How are stereo amps trash? That is news to me, I have not heard about this development.
lack of versatility..
You have to spend a substantial amount for a good one . Cheaper ones are bad , no sub outputs . Avr can do anything and everything better anyways . There fine for 2ch listening to music but probably not possible to hoook to a tv without adapters.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You have to spend a substantial amount for a good one . Cheaper ones are bad , no sub outputs . Avr can do anything and everything better anyways . There fine for 2ch listening to music but probably not possible to hoook to a tv without adapters.
I think there is a lot more nuance here than you understand. I wouldn't write off stereo amps so easily.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think there is a lot more nuance here than you understand. I wouldn't write off stereo amps so easily.
Ahh your talking about separates not stereo receivers ???
You would neeed a preamp for a stereo amplifier or surround amplifier, costing you more overall but probably better in some ways , it’s too expensive and complicated for me .
The cheapest receiver at pre- out is like pretty expensive,
Non-powered preamp‘s I don’t know much bout . Surround ones are still superior .

Last edited:
C

cpd

Full Audioholic
As for the TT, I think U-Turn is an excellent choice in your situation and especially since it's a local business for you. I have purchased three TT's from U-Turn as gifts for family members. Each recipient has enjoyed the TT and I received great service from U-Turn with each one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis