M

mbeaver5

Audiophyte
Hi!

Ive been trying to work this out for days!

I have a Pioneer VSX-D510 amp with 5x100w output all conected to speakers.

I want a sub to finish it all off, and have seen a unpowered airedale (wharfedale) one that will go with the rest of my wharefedale speakers.

Will i be able to conected to the "sub woofer preout" on my amp, does this mean its an unamplied channel? therefore having as much power as a small doormouse?

I dont really want to run the sub from the other channels as it kinda removes the point of having a dedicated channel for the sub.

thanks for anyhelp

bails

K

knobturner75

Audioholic Intern
That is exactly what "pre-out" means. No amplification. You will have to come up with another amplifier just for the sub. IMO, the receiver will not do the best job pushing your sub. Not to say that it won't do it, but it would be easier on your receiver to have a separate amplifier. You could either look for a component/separate amplifier or there are companies that offer plate amplifiers like the manufacturers use on powered subs. That is if you already own the sub. If you don't already own it, then IMO, I would look for a powered sub.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with knobturner

For that passive sub you're looking at you'll need top purchase an amp anyway. Why not simply get a powered sub where the amp and sub are matched.

A sub does not nned to be from the same nmanufacturer. I'd look for the best powered sub you can afford from another manufacturer, particularly one who specializes in subs. You'll get more bang for the buck

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mbeaver5 said:
Hi!

Ive been trying to work this out for days!

I have a Pioneer VSX-D510 amp with 5x100w output all conected to speakers.

I want a sub to finish it all off, and have seen a unpowered airedale (wharfedale) one that will go with the rest of my wharefedale speakers.

Will i be able to conected to the "sub woofer preout" on my amp, does this mean its an unamplied channel? therefore having as much power as a small doormouse?

I dont really want to run the sub from the other channels as it kinda removes the point of having a dedicated channel for the sub.

thanks for anyhelp

bails

What is that sub's impedance? You could get a Behringer A500 amp, bridge it, get over 300 watts for $180.

B

bandit

Audioholic
If that is the sub you really want and you are handy with small power tools I have another idea for you. You could purchase a subwoofer plate amplifier and install it into the enclosure. They are relatively inexpensive and have all the usual subwoofer controls such as level, phase, crossover frequency for integrating the sub into the rest of your system. I installed a rythmikaudio.com A350 plate amplifier into my sub enclosure with great results. You can buy these for $150 and have 350wrms on tap. For $109 you can have 250wrms. (into 4 ohms) There is a huge selection from different plate amps available if you do a little google searching.;) ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The only problem with sticking a plate amp into an existing design that didn't have an amp in it, is you are changing the cabinet's characteristics. The A500 is probably a better choice. Having said that, I use the A350 from Rythmic for my 15" Tempest and it works great :)

B

bandit

Audioholic
Howdy J

Point well taken... I had my plate amp sitting on top of the cabinet for quite some time for the exact reason you mention. Then I got worried about the cat getting electrocuted... So I went ahead and installed it. In my case the cabinet is 8 cubic feet. I really couldn't tell any difference after installing it. I suspect it might be more of an issue in a smaller cabinet. I did toy with the idea of mounting it in a seperate enclosure but I decided to keep it simple.

I don't know much about the tempest... sounds like your happy with it.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually have my 350 in a separate enclosure by itself because the sub is a cylinder and I don't want to come up with a mounting scheme :) I figured the 350 might be a little underpowered for the 15", but I was very wrong. This is a pretty solid little amp for the price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis