Non-Partisan discussion... when are you too old to be in office?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... Bear in mind, he's been dealing with a stutter/stammer since childhood, which most certainly affects his speaking performance. ...
I wonder if that can come back as you age. Maybe the two meds here can comment.

And regarding the title of post, one is too old when you get there. ;):D:D:D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I don't give a poop about the stutter/stammer and they have used that to deflect his lack of coherence. Watch more videos. He often makes no sense, looks like he's in dreamland and uses his hands in very strange ways, which I have commented on before- he acts very much like he has had a stroke. Half of the time, his eyes are like little slits, sometimes, one is open more than the other and this isn't in bright sunlight- he usually wears his 'hard guy/Top Gun/Walter the ventriloquist's dummy' shades.

He may have been 'on the ball' at the time but you really need to watch the videos- he wanders off during events, doesn't know where he needs to go or what to say (I don't care if he uses a teleprompter) and his word salads are giving Harris a run for her money on that.

There has to be an alternative. This is unacceptable and it will come to disaster.
Wanna post some video links? Not the doctored ones, obviously...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Wanna post some video links? Not the doctored ones, obviously...
He must live in a alternate reality as what I've seen of Biden does not even come close to what he claims. In fact, we're lucky that Biden is US President and not Trump.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
He must live in an alternate reality as what I've seen of Biden does not even come close to what he claims.
so you're blind in one eye and can't see out of the other .........

In fact, we're lucky that Biden is US President and not Trump.
lesser of two evils, yes, but we 'Americans' need to do BETTER !!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well we all know Trump is a fantastic orator.
This is one the things that baffles me with Trump supporters. From day one, I was flabbergasted at Trump's total inability to speak coherently and with acumen. He uses the vocabulary of a 12 year old and repeats the same phrases over and over. Why would anyone want someone with that level of intelligence in the highest office? It is a very poor reflection on the American public that they have not demanded a higher standard.

Not that I will claim that Canada is any better. Trudeau is not a very skilled orator and has made many public gaffs. Canada's decline on the world stage is very much a result of his inability to lead effectively. The Conservative leader, Pierre Poilievre, is a much better debater and has pulled ahead in the polls for next Prime Minister.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
This is one the things that baffles me with Trump supporters. From day one, I was flabbergasted at Trump's total inability to speak coherently and with acumen. He uses the vocabulary of a 12 year old and repeats the same phrases over and over. Why would anyone want someone with that level of intelligence in the highest office? It is a very poor reflection on the American public that they have not demanded a higher standard.

Not that I will claim that Canada is any better. Trudeau is not a very skilled orator and has made many public gaffs. Canada's decline on the world stage is very much a result of his inability to lead effectively. The Conservative leader, Pierre Poilievre, is a much better debater and has pulled ahead in the polls for next Prime Minister.
While I'm no fan of Trudeau, as an orator, he's Larry friggin' Olivier compared to Trump. And, while Poilievre is able to string together a coherent phrase, his debating skills consist of answering questions with deflective questions and throwing poop like a chimpanzee.

Now, back to debating the electoral merits of coffin dodgers.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
While I'm no fan of Trudeau, as an orator, he's Larry friggin' Olivier compared to Trump. And, while Poilievre is able to string together a coherent phrase, his debating skills consist of answering questions with deflective questions and throwing poop like a chimpanzee.

Now, back to debating the electoral merits of coffin dodgers.
Yeah, I'm not yet convinced that Poilievre will make the right choices for the country. His style of politics so far is very combative and critical but that seems to be typical for most opposition parties. Need to see a policy platform as to whether he can lead the country in the right direction. This thread has been a debate about being too old for office but in Trudeau's case I think he was too young and inexperienced.

I can't help but wonder how the American system using the electoral college would change things in Canada. That system was designed so that no single state like NY or CA could control the election outcome. In Canada, once Quebec and Ontario cast their votes, it's pretty much decided. Just imagine living out west, knowing that when you go to the polls, you can't change the final outcome. Too much influence sits in the GTA (Great Toronto Area).

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Right now, who would you consider "better"?
Well as a conservative here's three for starters........... Scott, Romney, Cheney(Liz). I know the MAGA crowd will scoff at those, too bad.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well as a conservative here's three for starters........... Scott, Romney, Cheney(Liz). I know the MAGA crowd will scoff at those, too bad.
Well, Scott voted against certifying Bidens 2020 election. Is that what you want as a President? Someone not firmly committed to democracy?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The trouble with Romney is that he's now 76 - we'd be having the same discussion about him before long. Otherwise, he's the moderate the GOP needs right now, but will never choose.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The trouble with Romney is that he's now 76 - we'd be having the same discussion about him before long. Otherwise, he's the moderate the GOP needs right now, but will never choose.
I know and agree, but IMO he is cognitively ahead of Trump or Biden. I injected him for that comparison. While I was never much a fan of her father, Liz has 'the balls' to say what's right IMO ! Again, I know she committed political suicide with the GOP, at least with the far right.

Another one I've got my eye on is the gov of 'Ar-Kansas'. Sarah could very well be a rising star, we shall see.......

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I know and agree, but IMO he is cognitively ahead of Trump or Biden. I injected him for that comparison. While I was never much a fan of her father, Liz has 'the balls' to say what's right IMO ! Again, I know she committed political suicide with the GOP, at least with the far right.

Another one I've got my eye on is the gov of 'Ar-Kansas'. Sarah could very well be a rising star, we shall see.......
He does seem to be still "with it". But, enemies will use it against him. Cheney is pretty hard right, but at least she seems to live in the land of reality. She won't be forgiven for "betraying" Trump.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As a White House Press Secretary she (Sarah Sanders) was lying often, and something she admitted to when interviewed by Muller team. At least she was not dumb enough to lie to them.

Apparently, personal integrity is not high on the list of desirable attributes among current Republicans.

>>>“Not founded on anything” is the new “alternative facts.”

The term applies to White House press secretary Sarah Sanders and her misleading statements from the press briefing room podium. Now some prominent journalists are questioning whether she should remain in her job.

Robert Mueller’s report confirms that Sanders simply made it up when she said that “countless” FBI agents had told her that they were thankful Trump had fired FBI Director James Comey.

Sanders made similar claims multiple times on two different days. Yet she told Mueller’s office in an interview that she merely made a “slip of the tongue.”

According to Mueller’s report, “she also recalled that her statement in a separate press interview that rank-and-file FBI agents had lost confidence in Comey was a comment she made ‘in the heat of the moment’ that was not founded on anything.”

So there it is — “not founded on anything” — a remarkable admission from a government official who is paid to communicate accurately with the public.
...<<<

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tried keeping partisanship out of this thread… that didn’t work too well. *shrugs

Wanted to add, as it came up…

Liz Cheney impressed in her steadfastness of standing up against the “batsh!t” wing of the hard right, but it also wasn’t that long ago that she was halfway across that line herself when Obama was in office. Perhaps she has matured a little and learned how to “adult” after seeing the result of the fasci-shuffle many on the hard right have embraced. But I certainly wouldn’t come back to “the fold” for her if she ran.

Regarding the Huckabee clan: they are full on batsh!t cra-cra and don’t deserve the time of day!

Sadly, when not running, Romney does impress. When running, like everybody else pandering to the base primary voters of the gop, he is a very different person.

With that I will return to not following my own thread, again.

Bye!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, I thought this was supposed to be about someone's mental abilities, not the number of their age. I would say that Romney is far more alert than Biden on many occasions, although he's not on screen very much. He killed his chances of being elected with his comment about the number of people who don't pay income tax, but he wasn't wrong unless you look at the real percentage and see that it's actually higher than he said.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I thought this was supposed to be about someone's mental abilities, not the number of their age.
simply quoting your comment here, not directly replying to you @highfigh . ;)

To be honest, when I started this thread it was a combination of age and capability behind the question. To that latter, both mental and physical concerns are seemingly relevant, though a president in a wheel chair wouldn’t concern me so much as a person that is incapable of forming a complete sentence. ;)

FWIW, @Swerd really helped me reformulate my thought process on this topic overall. It was never meant to be about age-ism, rather when should an elected official stop trying to hold onto office for any number of reasons.
I’m firmly in the camp that there is a point where one can be out of touch with the electorate, as well as simply not being able to withstand the rigors of the job.
Both of the leading presidential candidates right now qualify, in my book, for needing to step aside. *shrugs As with many several members of Congress, too.

Alas, the problems with whether a person can be trusted to be responsible with the power they are granted by the electorate are matched with the lack of ability of the electorate to responsibly choose better candidates. This far transcends the initial question I posed. From how we vote (focusing on major national elections rather than local, for example) to the way the parties operate their nominating process and primaries, the voting power we were supposed to have as individuals in a democratic republic have been diluted to the point of allowing all the shenanigans we seem to routinely pan as a society.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis