Non-cheap Inexpensive Speaker set

T

tlb

Hi, Experts.

I am in the process of putting together my first HT system. After hundreds of web pages, I am settling down for a Yamaha RX-V650 receiver.

However, I am having difficulty to choose a speaker set and wanted to ask you guys/gals what your preferences were. I am planning to spend no more that $600 (subwoofer included).

I have been looking at Polk Audio RM6750 (apparently to be released this month).

I have done some listening, but keep in mind that my ears can't tell a $1000 speaker set from a $10000 speaker set.

So, hit me with the truth.

Regards,

TLB

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There aren't a lot of choices for $600 including sub. I've heard good things about the Hsu Ventriloquist set, and I think you can get it with sub for about that. Possibly the Rocket ELTs.

A not-too-shabby option would be some Athena's with a Hsu sub.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
You might also want to look at Paridigms cinema series. Not sure of the cost but they are supposed to be a bargain for the sound quality.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
I'm with Rob, I'd do without the sub right now and just buy the speakers. Athena's a pretty good choice for a value-minded home theater. You can get 4 AS-B1's and the center channel for about $550.00 and just buy a sub later. I'll admit though, I'm not a fan of HTIB's. I haven't found one that plays music very well in that price range. JMO

T

tlb

Did I mention I would rather have smaller speakers? It's a requirement from my Boss, hum, wife.

U

Unregistered

tlb said:
Did I mention I would rather have smaller speakers? It's a requirement from my Boss, hum, wife.
requirement from my wife BOSE !!

don't go her route I did and 3 sest of speakers later we have graduated to bookshelves and now she gave the ok for floorstanders

how about energy take 5

I agree with the athena's and no sub for now

T

tld

Unregistered said:
requirement from my wife BOSE !!

don't go her route I did and 3 sest of speakers later we have graduated to bookshelves and now she gave the ok for floorstanders

how about energy take 5

I agree with the athena's and no sub for now
Hahaha! Yeah! Those BOSE are "so cute". (no offense, gals, okay? They are sexy).

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Your neighborhood DIY endorser

How good are you with your hands? For a little less than $600 after shipping you could put together some PartsExpress kits. A 10" 250 Subwoofer kit, and the BR-1 2 way kit. Some poeple will bash the BR-1, because it isn't absolute....but at $150 for the pair....its very hard to beat in terms of performance. Definently something to look into for your budget. I bought a pair of B&W DM302's for $250 several years ago, and I finally took them apart, and they used extremely cheap components, although they do look very pleasing. The BR-1 uses pretty high quality components.

< PS I'm not affiliated with PartsExpress :D :D >

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
End result is that YOU have to be happy with them.

Enjoyment and happiness come from within. Not being funny at all. I would bet that there are a lot of decent "HT in a box" at best buy that would do the trick, (FOR YOUR NEEDS) for even less than 600.

That said, Since you want quality, but can't hear it just now (you just might later!), then I would consider one of the internet speaker companies:
Axiom
Aperion
Ascend
Onix or Rocket by Onix

I have to be honest, I have never seen or heard any of these brands, but there are LOTS of good reviews about ALL of these speakers.

The one that, in my opinon, has the MOST individual recommendations, is the Axiom. They have (supposedly) very well built speakers, that SOUND great, but have a wood vinyl veeneer. (people say they look great), another company, (read them to see who) uses actual wood finishes, so if LOOK might be more inportant than sound, maybe you would want to consider the real wood speakers.

NOT saying that the real wood is good or bad, or sounds better or worse, but if, as you say, "they all sound the same to me", then go for price and/or fit and finish.

Rest assured that whatever your decision, it will be supported by a group of hard core audiofiles out there!.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

You might also try Audiogon or Ebay for good deals on used stuff. Some guys have ebay horror stories; me, I've bought and sold quite a bit on the 'bay and have had nothing but good luck.

Buying used can get you a lot more speaker than you would get new, but of course it's not without risk, and you won't have a warranty. Still, if you stick to guys/gals with good feedback, there are some bargains to be had.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
If you are looking for high bang for the buck entry level speaker subwoofer set that you can build on I reccomend the
Pinnacle BD500 List for $449 Street for $329pr and the Digital Sub 150
List for $599 street for $299 this is a 12" 200 watt subwoofer that plays low and tight the whole Pinnacle Black Dimond series is a high bang for the
buck series and IMOHO gives you more dollar for dollar that the others mentioned both in build quality and performance But as always your ears are the best indicator If you want to get into the Mid-Fi level look at RBH
Cheers

H

Hoikensnogin

Enthusiast
You'll hear the difference

Have you really listened to the nicer/more expensive speakers yet? I think anyone could hear the difference.

But before you go the high end audio store, you should know that:

1. You will hear the difference.
2. The cheapers stuff will now sound like crap.
3. You will want the nicer stuff.
4. You'll spend 10 times more than you ever dreamed you would.

Anyway, that's what happened to me. I took my time, and I used ebay a lot. Pick out people with lots of positive feedback. Ebay can be a really safe and smart way to buy, just don't take risks on people with litte or no feedback.

Good luck in your quest!

T

tlb

Thanks, Y'All for your comments. I will definitely do some eBaying and will keep in mind DIY speaker sets.

Hopefully, I will be able to let you know what the final decision was in a month or so.

T

tlb

BTW, I am puzzled that nobody mentioned anything about my choice of receiver (Yamaha RX-V650).... (!?!)

R

remmib

Enthusiast
If you have access to Frys' Electronics, they have Polk RM7200 on sale for $499 every now and then. Huge bargain considering the MSRP for those speakers is $1299

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
The RX-V650 is a good receiver. You will be happy with it. It's a very good value and has YPAO.

Shinerman

T

tlb

What I finally bought

OK, People. This is what ended up happening. Let me know what you think.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502 ($249 at Fry's).
Speakers: Polk Audio RM7200 with PSW550 included ($499 at Fry's).

Thanks for your help.

tlb

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Let us know how it works out for you. Polk stuff is a pretty good value, and they seem to be cranking out better stuff nowadays than they made 5-10 years ago. I've read some very positive reviews of the inexpensive Polks.

T

tlb

So far so good...

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean last night. At this time, I cannot find a compelling reason why going to a movie theater.

I am still playing with the settings... Will report later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis