Non banana connections?

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
Hi
Is there a better connection type than bare cable on a non banana type receiver? It is an old teac agh550 with a screw type locking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bare wire is a great way to go and cheap, particularly if you don't plan on making changes in connections frequently. Some like spades, too.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I don't use anything but bare wire, I have used plugs in the past, I've come to like the fact that without plugs thats one less connection in the chain to and from my speakers I gotta worry about breaking. About the only thing I do is every now and than is check to make sure they are tight at my AVR and speakers. I do miss the plugs though when I do mess with moving gear around at my age getting up from the floor is a bit of a hassle I'm no where's near as flexible as I use to be.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I don't use anything but bare wire, I have used plugs in the past, I've come to like the fact that without plugs thats one less connection in the chain to and from my speakers I gotta worry about breaking. About the only thing I do is every now and than is check to make sure they are tight at my AVR and speakers. I do miss the plugs though when I do mess with moving gear around at my age getting up from the floor is a bit of a hassle I'm no where's near as flexible as I use to be.
+1 and think less chance for any corrosion at connection points, over time. Less costly and feel is more secure too. IMO.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of guys do what you do and technically you're right. It's one less connection in the chain. I have a speaker obsession tho and swap them in and out fairly often and bananas make it a lot easer for me. Otherwise I'd probably go bare wire too.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well on the backs of some avrs particularly they're not a lot of maneuvering room for bare wire and tightening of the terminals (altho I have cheated and used tools that fit over the knob), so sometimes even if I'm not making changes often I'll just opt for the easier attachment of a banana.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Ya, good points for sure. The back of my Denon, was an operation to get the 16ga twisted pair through the holes and had to use flash light. Yes, the back of some speakers, there may not be a lot of space between terminals. Since I don't have to move equipment around and don't have to take the time with assembling/connecting banana plugs, it might be faster to just strip the wire and find the holes. ;) I do check the terminal screw downs, every so often.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use banana plugs because I also use 12ga wire. I think theoretically a “better” connection can be made with the crush of bare wire, but my bananas sound the same. Maybe I should get some new fuses. Or wooden receptacles.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis