Noise problem solution needed

Natosha Jacobs

Natosha Jacobs

Audiophyte
I recently bought a condo. Toll Brothers is the builder in early 2000’s. So, once we moved in, we realized that we hear these all the time.

1. Foot fall noise. If our tv is off, we can even hear their 20lb dog running
  2. Their washer/dryer that is 2 floors above our living room
  3. If they move/drag anything
  4. If they drop anything on their floor
  5. If they put anything on their floor
  6. Their garbage dispenser
  7. Closing their kitchen cabinet doors
  8. Closing their closet doors etc
  9. Their dog barking (minor issue)
How do I solve this? How expensive can a right solution be? It is getting difficult for me to focus when I have to etc
Before buying the condo, I asked the seller if there are any noise issues. He said he never had noise complaints when he lived there nor did the tenants he rented it out to.

Thanks in advance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why I stopped living in apartments/condos long ago. Like that commercial that's been running with the "clogging" problem, eh? Sounds like pretty poor construction for all that to come thru, rather than particularly inconsiderate neighbors, and perhaps not the most honest seller (or perhaps hard of hearing).

Soundproofing I suppose is why you're asking here; it's not a simple add-on solution and could be quite expensive to do well enough. You might try this article https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/a-guide-to-sound-isolation-and-noise-control

....in the meantime when it gets noisy perhaps some noise cancelling headphones could help?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why I stopped living in apartments/condos long ago. Like that commercial that's been running with the "clogging" problem, eh? Sounds like pretty poor construction for all that to come thru, rather than particularly inconsiderate neighbors, and perhaps not the most honest seller (or perhaps hard of hearing).

Soundproofing I suppose is why you're asking here; it's not a simple add-on solution and could be quite expensive to do well enough. You might try this article https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/a-guide-to-sound-isolation-and-noise-control

....in the meantime when it gets noisy perhaps some noise cancelling headphones could help?
And the main problem is that those people aren't clogging, they're tap dancing! AAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't they get it right??????????????????????????o_O

I have lived in duplexes, never in an apartment building. I never liked the amount of noise I heard when I visited friends who lived in apartments and condos and with condo associations, I'll never live in one if I have anything to say about it.

It's not just soundproofing, it's about isolation and that can't be done completely after the place has been built because it would require breaking the mechanical connections between the structure for each unit.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently bought a condo. Toll Brothers is the builder in early 2000’s. So, once we moved in, we realized that we hear these all the time.

How do I solve this? How expensive can a right solution be? It is getting difficult for me to focus when I have to etc
Before buying the condo, I asked the seller if there are any noise issues. He said he never had noise complaints when he lived there nor did the tenants he rented it out to.

Thanks in advance.
Did you talk to the other people who had lived there?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And the main problem is that those people aren't clogging, they're tap dancing! AAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't they get it right??????????????????????????o_O
LOL am no judge of which form that was but now that you made me look up clogging I do see its the state dance of both Kentucky and North Carolina.....and there is a type of dance called clog-dancing one does in clogs....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Toll Brothers are among the ones who build luxurious houses costing several million dollars. They are the ones who sponsor the Metropolitan Opera radio and satellite broadcasts. For the prices they charge, the condos should have acoustically isolated walls and floating floors.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like your upper level neighbors have hard-surface flooring. One possible answer to mitigate, though probably not eliminate, the noise transmission is for them to carpet their condo, using deep-pile carpet and heavy foam padding. The kitchen will be a problem, of course, because no sane person wants carpeting in a kitchen, but perhaps doing just the other rooms might help enough to salvage your sanity. Kitchen-wise, Insinkerator makes some exceptionally quiet disposals like this one:

This unit could probably eliminate the disposer noise. I just installed one, and it is remarkably quiet. You could also ask them to use a couple of kitchen floor pads like these:

How do you get them to make these changes? You offer them substantial cost-sharing on these items. Like 50% or more. It would be best to have an attorney draw up the agreement if you go this way. The worst they can say is no, and if they decline I recommend selling and moving, if that's economically feasible. Given the way the noise is being transmitted I highly doubt you can make it acceptable just by treating your condo. Look at it this way, if you move you'll probably have at minimum realtor commissions of 6%, plus other closing and moving costs. If your condo is worth $150K, the realtor commission alone would be $9,000.

It might be that mitigation is all you need to maintain your sanity and stay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis