No sound from Sub...

L

leo79

I recently purchased a sony receiver and polk audio rm7200 speakers. I followed the instructions from polk audio by connecting the sub with speaker wire instead of using the sub preout. Anyway, I tried both ways and neither worked. Am i doing something wrong? So far I've only connected the front right, left and center speakers and those work fine, but the darn subwoofer just doesn't seem to produce any sound. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Two obvious points to consider. Is the power on? And is the volume turned up on the sub? Sometimes the sub's volume needs to be pushed up a bit. The model of subwoofer that comes with that speaker system is the PSW550 which is a decent sub. Also, if running at line level out, make sure the subwoofer setting is on. What type of receiver are you using?

U

Unregistered

I'm using a Sony STR-DE897 receiver. Yes the power is plugged in and everything seems to be connected fine. I get sound from every speaker but the sub. I have the sound turned up all the way on the sub, but get nothing. I followed all the instructions on the polk website, and still get nothing.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Sounds like the subwoofer is not working properly unfortunately... :(

U

Unregistered

is there a way to test it to make sure there is a problem with the sub? Can i hook it up it up to something else? Thanks for the help.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Only thing I can think of is to make certain your receiver is sending signal to the sub (ie if there is a sub "on" setting, make sure it is on). One other thing I can think of is to hook it up to another receiver if you have one with a sub out. Yet another thing you could do is turn the sub on, and unplug it to see if you get a pop at the speaker. That would indicate that energy from the sub's amp is getting to the speaker.

U

Unregistered

Well, I tried the pulling the power test and no pop at all. I guess I'm taking it back. thanks for the help.

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
When I hear super audio cds on my receiver, there are some titles with LFE signal to the subwoofer and some without. Try as many records you can.

If the problem still persist, set all the speakers to "SMALL" and bass output to Subwoofer (SW) and connect your subwoofer, with only one cable, to the subwooofer output of your receiver.

Good luck !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis