No results found in search, how are the Yamaha NS-777?

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I'd really like to get these for my front and surround speakers, but I'd like to get the opinion of you fine folks first.

O

outsider

Audioholic
unless Yamaha has made some major improvements in their speakers, they probably aren't that great.
I am basing my opinion on all the Yamaha speakers I have listened to. I have found many other speakers that have much better sound than Yamaha for the same price range.

Yamaha does make very good receivers and CD players, though. I have one of each.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Where were you searching? I googled and came up with a lot of different sites. Check this site out.

Stryf3

Audioholic Intern
I've got a pair of the 777's and I love them. The sound is crisp and accurate with good bass. There are better speakers out there (obviously), but for the price you can get these right now, I think they're a steal. If you have the chance to audition them before you buy that would be perfect. You can get some impressions from others, but what really counts is how they sound to you!:)

and btw, Yamaha has some fine speakers if you know which ones to look for. Mainly the ones actually manufactured by Yamaha :)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Stryf3, nicely said, Yamaha NS-777 are bargains and are unmatched for their price/performance factor and unless you are looking for bass, they give you nice, accurate sound. If you want higher end Yamaha speakers, look for the HX series which gives the B&W, Cantons etc. run for their money.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
Where were you searching?
I searched the audioholic forums before posting. I've read lots about them, I just wanted to get some responses. I've looked into the HX series and those are my goal eventually, along with an RX-Z9, but I'm looking to spend under 2K for my HT audio right now.

One remark I'd like someone to elaborate on - mainly Stryf3 - how would I tell which are made by Yamaha versus speakers made by someone else? Do they contract out manufacturing of their speakers or were you just being silly? Either way, thanks for all the responses.

I'm thinking I'll be getting a separate subwoofer, so the low end isn't vital to me for these speakers. This is a beginner HT... :cool:

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
With the RX-Z9, the NS-8HX would be perfect match.

As for Yamaha making poor speakers in the past, it was due to Yamaha withdrawing from the US market with their high end speakers. In the 70s when the berriyum NS-1000 were released, not only were they way ahead of their times, most major studios across the world used them including Danish Broadcasting Center and as you may know, Denmark makes a great speaker by the name of Dynaudio.

Go across major studios and what do you see, the white coned dimunitive speakers are the legendary NS-10M monitors, over 170,000 have been sold worldwide, mostly to musicians and studios.

Stryf3

Audioholic Intern
Nick, coupled with my Yamaha sub, these speakers sound fantastic. There a few things that you buy that live up to the hype, for me these speakers are 2 of those things :D. Coupled with their great looks I'm sure you'll be happy.

My understanding is that many of the speakers bearing the Yamaha moniker in the past (and I'm talking about very cheapie type speakers.) were outsourced to other manufacturers and sold under the Yamaha name. This obviously resulted in Yamaha getting a pretty bad name in speakers, even though many of the high end speaker were excellent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis