No real Dolby Atmos signal from Tidal on Apple TV 4K to Surround receiver's...

KC74

KC74

Audiophyte
I can't get it over into Atmos on my Marantz SR 7012 it's just a stereo signal from Tidal and it is the hifi version/subscription the expensive, that is required i have, Can they call it Dolby Atmos!? is it legal? is it not fake product advertising from both Dolby and Tidal, i think it is... a real Dolby Atmos music signal is the same like them which is on theirs Demo disc's..

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have their premium(can’t think of what it’s called ATM)?
Also, what are your options when you push the red “music” button on the remote?

KC74

KC74

Audiophyte
it is the hifi version the expensive, that is required i have, i get only the Dolby surround option (upscaled) only stereo signal..

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Currently only Apple TV, FireStick Gen2 or newer, and NVidia support Atmos over Tidal. Even with that support, it's limited to DD+ over Atmos, not TrueHD.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wasn’t working here either. Update your Apple TV, delete Tidal app and reinstall it. It should come up with a Dolby Atmos advert. Worked for me. Enjoy, but don’t expect too much, the mix of “Sunflower” sucks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and you really have to turn it up to stupid levels to hear it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Dolby Atmos still not supported on Onkyo Tidal app. Message on Onkyo display reads “Asset not ready for playback”. Shame, 2 channel music sounds much better on Onkyo app than on Apple TV app. I wanted to compare the Atmos tracks, though, as Gene mentioned, it's lossy Atmos.

KC74

KC74

Audiophyte
I had just updated apple tv 4k so I didn't think I should, but the app was uninstalled as it should and apple tv 4k was updated and now it runs perfect :) and shut up it sounds cool on my 7.2.4 Atmos setup, thinks it was dolby at the end of 2019 has said there will be 10,000 dolby atmos music songs/tracks in 2020, it is too cool to hear the work / product of the maker / mixer of the music piece in atmos it gives much more life in the music, another cool thing to use our surroundsystem on, I think it's the future, and most likely a lot more surround receivers will be sold in the future and will become more widespread worldwide, Amazon Music has also started publishing Dolby Atmos songs/ tracks more will come..

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, you shut up, lol. I'm all for new formats. I went in on DTS CD's, SACD's and DVD-AUDIO's a few years back to enjoy multi channel music. I had hoped they would become more popular and not go the way of the Dodo bird. Some titles will sound better than others in the new format. I think it will be a niche market as most people will continue to listen to MP3's through headphones connected to their Smart phones and audiophiles will continue to help vinyl thrive as CD's are disappearing from store shelves to make room for vinyl LP's. We'll see if this format takes off and if DTS:X Music Masters doesn't show up.

KC74

KC74

Audiophyte
Trebdp83> speak properly and keep a proper tone, dolby atmos is much more widespread, the train has been run for dts-x in this situation, although dts-x may be better in some cases, it is just a shame it happend so many times in history i am glad for what we have and get available, and my setup is just selected for dolby atmos. DTS CD's, SACD's and DVD-AUDIO's have so little material, I think dolby atmos music will be big and have the potential to beat both DTS CD's, SACD's and DVD-AUDIO's together in a year, if dolby reaches 10,000 tracks by the end of 2020 will it be huge... multi channel music streaming never gonna be TrueHD or DTS-X HD master audio too big files for the servers, much bigger than DD+ tracks, maybe in 10-15 years who knows.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I was keeping it light. I’m sure you were also keeping it light when you told me to shut up. I don’t need to be scolded or told how to speak. Oh, and something runs perfectly, not perfect. But, I’ll forgive your grammar if you forgive my tone. I hope Dolby Atmos music does well. I also hope it improves. They need to add support to more devices and get the low volume issue worked out. I’d like to see lossless implementation down the road. I keep thinking a Peter Gabriel album made specifically for the format would be something special.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what do you get with this 2ch version of Atmos if run thru a processor for multich Atmos? Thought it was more a pseudo surround sound enhancement for use on phones, etc?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is actually multi channel music. Sony's 360 Reality Audio is a headphone virtualization system that is also available on Tidal. The Atmos tracks are a mixed bag. Some have vocals focused on the center channel with backing vocals and effects spread all around. Some spread vocals across the front three speakers while favoring the right and left channels over the center channel.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is actually multi channel music. Sony's 360 Reality Audio is a headphone virtualization system that is also available on Tidal. The Atmos tracks are a mixed bag. Some have vocals focused on the center channel with backing vocals and effects spread all around. Some spread vocals across the front three speakers while favoring the right and left channels over the center channel.
Got any good tracks for us to try out?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, good is a relative term. So, only 5.1.2 setup here. I reconnected some speakers for the front heights. I believe KC74 is running 7.2.4 for a more immersive experience. First, Tidal on Apple TV 4K runs at a lower volume than the Onkyo Tidal app in my system. So, using a quick comparison from an SPL app, I played a two channel stereo track with the Apple TV 4K Tidal app and the Onkyo’s volume set at -05db. This showed an average db of 77. Playing the same track on the Onkyo Tidal app at a volume level of -15db gave me the same average of 77db. I could not compare Dolby Atmos tracks as the Onkyo Tidal app currently does not support Dolby Atmos playback. It will not play a stereo version of the Atmos track when selected but instead displays a message that reads “Asset not ready for playback.” But, on Apple TV 4K, Dolby Atmos with a 70db average required a volume setting of -05db on the Onkyo. It also generated a noise that sounded like a cooling fan running from the left front height channel, yikes! Interestingly, while using the iPhone Tidal app, Dolby Atmos tracks are sent as stereo to the Onkyo. So, if using the iPhone as a little jukebox selector, one can select Dolby Atmos tracks and they will be playable in stereo. But, back to Dolby Atmos tracks. I picked a couple of modern tracks for their use of electronics. “I feel it coming” is a song from The Weeknd and Daft Punk. The main vocal comes from the center channel. This makes one focus on that channel and the sounds from the other speakers seem like an intrusion. Now, it is interesting to hear all of the different things coming from all around, but they shouldn’t take away from the main vocal. “Without Me” is a song by Halsey. The vocal is spread across the front three channels and really sounds good. The ambient sounds compliment it rather than distract from it. The bass is punchy without being boomy. It is all in the mixes and takes getting used to after hearing songs you have only heard in stereo. I’ll be going back to 5.1. I never want to hear that noise again. It never did that on Dolby Atmos movie tracks, but then I never had to play them so loudly to hear them well. If they add Queen’s “The Game” album, everybody should check it out. The DVD-AUDIO disc is so good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis