No Netflix Disc Needed For PS3 by Oct.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Netflix PS3 will no longer require a disc by October

July 22nd, 2010
By Nathan Grayson

Old, antiquated discs? With steaming media? You might as well be shoving a book into your PS3.
No more, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a recent earnings call.

“Before our next [earnings] call in October, we expect to be launching a major new version of our Sony PS3 user interface which doesn’t require a disc, and is dynamically updated continuously with the latest Netflix UI improvements.”

Yeah, uh, Netflix disc? Jeez, this is awkward. Um, your services won’t be needed anymore. Aww man, don’t look at us like that! Ok, fine. A new position down in our Frisbee department just opened up. How’s that sound? Just a word of warning, though: you might get buried by a dog. Great gig otherwise, though.

Source: VG247

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Hooray! No more getting up to remove a game or movie to insert the stupid netflix disc :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This is good news as I should be getting my PS3 disc today or tomorrow and I was thinking of how nice it is with my 360 that I don't have to get up to remove a game, it will be nice to do the same for the PS3.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had read that they would do this eventually, but this is sooner.than I expected.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just got my streaming disc for the PS3 yesterday, and I must say that I like the interface for the 360 much better than for the one for the PS3, now if only they would allow xbox live silver members to access netflix I wouldn't have to recover my account on my other box everytime I want to use netflix on my other 360.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
How does streaming NetFlix to a PS3 compare to a BD on audio and video?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Not even close, BD blows everything else away, streaming on netflix is still not up to par with even a regular dvd. No 5.1 on netflix and the video is still decent at best, but for some things it's not all that bad. I was streaming some old Beavis and Butthead episodes and the quality was good cause I know the quality of the original isn't all that great, but when watching an actual movie I'd still rather have a physical disc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DVD quality video and STEREO. 5.1 is supposed to be coming to streaming on Netflix by the end of the year, but HD video not for a while is what I read.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys. I think I will stay away from this for now. If I am going to burn up 2 hours of my time, it has to look and sound great.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks guys. I think I will stay away from this for now. If I am going to burn up 2 hours of my time, it has to look and sound great.
Having DishHD has really pushed that one home for me. Before I was OK watching TV shows in SD and getting my HD fix primarily on Blu-ray. Having the option of HD versions of things has really made me notice the poor quality of SD channels. It isn't unbearable to watch some thing, but it is very noticeable, so even for TV, I will opt for HD if I have a choice because I would like it to at least look good.

I often use streaming to throw things I am not sure about in there for 10-15 minutes to see if it is something I will want to actually put in the queue and watch it on BD, and other times it will be the weekend and waiting for that next BD to show up from them. Then there are things that probably won't be noticeably better in HD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis