No composite and S-video please

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Either I am missing something that is considered a moot point in the industry or the manufactures of a/v equipment are not seeing what connections on the back of the processor or receiver the consumer actually makes use of.

Here is what I mean, when I spend $1200 or more on a processor or receiver it must be quite evident that I am serious about music and/or home theater. I am looking for quality and performance, without selling my car to buy my equipment. So it is certain that I will be using a good source i.e. CD/ SACD/ DVD-A, computer audio through digital link (coax or Toslink); DVD, Satellite, game console, computer through component or DVI or HDMI. Also, I will have a good video device (TV or Projector) calibrated for the component or DVI or HDMI input. Last, but not the least I will have a good speaker setup to compliment all the other equipment, in a room that is optimized for the purpose.

Then why do manufacturers still include a wonderful abundance of composite and S-Video input and output connections and corresponding 2-channel audio connections in their $1200 and above product range. I think it is a waste of rear panel space and the cost of accommodating the unused electronics for these inputs and outputs could be put towards improving the quality of electronics actually used.

I would love to see a processor or receiver that has only component or DVI or HDMI inputs and outputs for video switching. Not only that, it can have just one or two, 2-channel analog audio inputs, maybe one multi-channel analog input and the rest (five – six maybe more) can be digital. The quality of electronics used is much better than the equivalent product with composite and S-Video options, but the price is more or less the same.

How about it?

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Kinda the same reason Windows will still run some DOS software I guess ;)

I agree with your sentiment. Heck, I'd be glad to sacrife a couple of S-video inputs (and a few others) just to have more than two coax digital inputs.

Mort

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mort Corey said:
Kinda the same reason Windows will still run some DOS software I guess ;)

I agree with your sentiment. Heck, I'd be glad to sacrife a couple of S-video inputs (and a few others) just to have more than two coax digital inputs.

Mort
Great points, especially about the S-Video hookups. Don't forget, a lot of us still have VHS-C camcorders, VCR's, Playstations, etc... that need the one yellow rca hook up. Be it they can be hooked up to the front of our receivers or tv's (and usually one at a time), but you still need them. I'm always hooking my Canon S400 digital camera to the front of the tv to show off my digital pictures. As for all the S-Video ins, they can eliminate those asap as far as I'm concerned.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Not enough inputs or outs!

Edit 2: Added a picture of the back of my receiver, for more explanation.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Don't forget, a lot of us still have VHS-C camcorders, VCR's, Playstations, etc... that need the one yellow rca hook up. Be it they can be hooked up to the front of our receivers or tv's (and usually one at a time), but you still need them. I'm always hooking my Canon S400 digital camera to the front of the tv to show off my digital pictures. As for all the S-Video ins, they can eliminate those asap as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. I still have to use analog inputs on my receiver to go to my VCR which goes to my TV as of my TV doesn't have composite or component outs or ins, for that matter:

However, I would really like to see more digital inputs on receivers. Even the AVR-5805:

Doesn't have very much. I mean, sure, it has enough for now but what will happen when stuff starts to use more digital inputs?

Components that a person might use on a receiver that might have dig. inputs:

1. Xbox 360...does that have a digital capability? I don't know for sure (someone else might) but it should. Ok,
there's one component.

2. Playstation3

3. Camcorder - more of these will begin to use digital, proably anyways...

4. DVD player

5. SACD Player (do these use digital?)

There you go, youve used up the digital IN's (toslink, anyways) on the 5805. Now, I know that my 1705 isnt top of the line, but it only has two! I would gladly sacrefice S-Video for more digital ins/outs!

Cyggie.

Last edited:
Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Fortunately, most of the receivers with 4 or 5 SPDIF and 4 or 5 coax digital connections will allow you to assign them to many different inputs, allowing for 8 or 9 digital sources. As far as composite and S-video, many people buying low end to mid-fi receivers don't even know the advantages of S-video let alone component video. I still have one S-video connection in use for my laserdisc/dvd combi player; it will send the DVD out component but not the laserdisc. You have to think, for the average joe buying a receiver, 3 or 4 digital inputs are fine. For those of us who frequent these forums, 3 or 4 is probably unacceptable. I have many buying decisions where several pieces of equipment each have certain features I like, and have thought to myself "why can't someone combine the features from both products so I don't have to compromise." Sometimes manufacturers do in their flagship products which get very expensive. It seems that no piece of gear is perfect in the A/V world, and if you do find one it is quickly outdated. I think things are getting better with advances in technology and as the cost of technolgy comes down. As more people acquire multiple digital devices, manufacturers should get better at keeping up with input/outputs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why Only 3 Component Connections?

Why is it that manufacturers think that current A/V users will have half a dozen or more composite or S-video connections, while the most they will have is 3 component connections?

While, I understand that 3 is more common now than in years past, it is still somewhat of a joke that you have to go up to $3000+ receivers just to get one or two extra component video connections.

I had all 3 filled the day I bought my receiver, now I want to add a DVD changer (400 disc) so all my discs will be out of my son's hands, as well as hook up my OTA HD receiver. Guess what? I can't!

The lack of additional component video inputs forces me to look at getting another receiver, and a 5805 seems like it might be a bit much for my overall needs. But, I have to wonder, as I stare at the 3 connections I have that are not component - why I wasted so much money on a bunch of worhtless, outdated input connections? Who is going to step up to the plate and ditch half those worthless connections in favor of component and HD?

M

mawst95

Audioholic Intern
Just think....in 10 years people will be complaining that we have 8 component inputs and only 2 of input XYZ

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
As far as gaming systems go, both PS2 and XBox support component output and TOSLINK digital audio out, so there again, if you're using them with a nice system, the oldskool connections are again rendered almost useless.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:
As far as gaming systems go, both PS2 and XBox support component output and TOSLINK digital audio out, so there again, if you're using them with a nice system, the oldskool connections are again rendered almost useless.
EXACTLY!

I mean, the standard for so many people who would buy a $1,000 receiver these days is as follows:

At least 1 game system
DVD player
HD Sat/Cable

That's 3 component inputs without ONE legacy port in use. Many people have even ditched their VCRs because of the DVRs built into Sat/Cable boxes. I am struggling to find things to hook up... I have my VCR, a digital music server, and my security cameras... what else... ummm... my video camera? Geez! Why can't I spend $1,000 and get 6 component inputs.

And why doesn't Sony's PS2 include the Sony/Philips Digital InterFace for audio? Grrrrr... :)

Ah well, I only dropped about 3 grand on my receiver, what more should I expect right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis