no bitstream atmos from PS5 through 6014 AVR and Samsung TU8000

B

bonecracka

Audiophyte
I cant get my ps5 to output bitstream while playing maverick 4k bluray on ps5 I have watched plenty of stuff on utube but bitstream is always greyed out. I have done the set up choosing dolby then attempting to change disc setting to bitstream instead of PCM when in playback mode but does not work. Atmos works through my tv Netflx and Disney+ apps as my TV is earc and so is the receiver has anyone also had this problem I dont own any other atmos bluray disc so cant try that.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
I cant get my ps5 to output bitstream while playing maverick 4k bluray on ps5 I have watched plenty of stuff on utube but bitstream is always greyed out. I have done the set up choosing dolby then attempting to change disc setting to bitstream instead of PCM when in playback mode but does not work. Atmos works through my tv Netflx and Disney+ apps as my TV is earc and so is the receiver has anyone also had this problem I dont own any other atmos bluray disc so cant try that.
Take the disk out of the PS5 close the draw then see if you can change to Bitstream, some players wont let you change it while the disk is in.

B

bonecracka

Audiophyte
Unfortunately needs a disc in to choose pcm or bitstream

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is another place in the menu where you need to enable audio settings in order to get Atmos at all on the PS5. While it says the PS5 officially does not support it, there is a config that allows it to work, it was just very hidden. It does not actually give Atmos support, it just permits it to work. One place is you need to enable 7.1 in Audio settings, then there is another setting for BD.

It is that Audio Format Priority, if you set it to Dolby, Atmos works. The settings have actually changed since that article, since 7.1 config was not present back then, but the Audio Priority setting is still there

Last edited:
B

bonecracka

Audiophyte
Still no luck been tried pretty much everything might try and buy another movie disc or try a bd player

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I tried Ghost in the Shell 4K because I wanted to hear the new Atmos track. It worked on the PS5 for me.

I own Maverick also, I can check it later tonight and see if it is maybe an issue with that disc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I tried Maverick 4K and was able to get Atmos. It shows input as "Atmos" instead of discrete channels like my Oppo. It is the first time I've seen that and likely means it is able to send TrueHD and the Atmos comes across when you configure the BD to Atmos. It sounds pretty good.

B

bonecracka

Audiophyte
What I'm getting so far is dolby true HD 7.1 system settings on ps5 set to dolby not pcm then on bd setting on ps5 set to pcm because it won't allow bitstream it won't tick tried an old avatar bd disc and it won't bitstream either I have an old DVD player will see if that will bitstream to avr

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is the HDMI-eARC Mode Off in the TV Sound Expert Settings? I'm assuming the PS5 is connected directly to the TV for 4K @120Hz gaming. The eARC Mode must be On and set to Auto. Digital Output Audio Format should be set to Passthrough.

Dolby Atmos streams from apps will be lossy Atmos/DD+ tracks while discs use lossless Atmos/DTHD tracks. Atmos/DD+ tracks will work over ARC but Atmos/DTHD tracks will need the expanded bandwidth of eARC to work. When eARC is not configured properly, uncompressed Atmos/PCM(Dolby MAT from Apple TV 4K, XBOX Series X and others) and lossless Atmos/DTHD tracks via bitstream from blu-ray players will not be output correctly.

What is the receiver displaying as the incoming audio signal when playing the movie disc?

B

bonecracka

Audiophyte
Well after replacing like for like unit and settings with my friends ps5 his works gets bitstream and atmos so mine must have a problem it's well under warranty so will take it back

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That’s too bad but at least you figured things out.

B

bonecracka

Audiophyte
Yep now fixed with a new ps5 under warranty picture and sound is better ,tv is recognized as hdr all the time and finally bitstream atmos

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well after replacing like for like unit and settings with my friends ps5 his works gets bitstream and atmos so mine must have a problem it's well under warranty so will take it back
My previous Preamp would not do Atmos with the PS5 either, despite the fact that it was supported and worked with my Oppo. After switching to a new Preamp it worked fine, so this does not surprise me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis