Nice looking white oak veneer

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is the white oak from Ozark. Missouri? If yes, you can age whiskey inside:). That white oak is used for one of the mid lines of Glenmorangie Single Malt Scotch - Astar. I guess whiskey needs some time to break in as oppose to speakers.

They really look beautiful. Drivers resemble the ones TLS has on his DIY's. Good thing H. Hughes didnt see that dust cap, he'd madea bra of that shape.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Is the white oak from Ozark. Missouri? If yes, you can age whiskey inside:). That white oak is used for one of the mid lines of Glenmorangie Single Malt Scotch - Astar. I guess whiskey needs some time to break in as oppose to speakers.
White oak is common in the USA, at least, it used to be. At an earlier time, a lot of furniture was made with solid white oak that survives today. I don't know if white oak trees are still common, but I hope so.
They really look beautiful. Drivers resemble the ones TLS has on his DIY's. Good thing H. Hughes didnt see that dust cap, he'd madea bra of that shape.
Those mid woofers are Seas W16s. I have that same model speaker, but finished in ropey cherry veneer instead of white oak. No wonder I like them ;).

I also like how the plinths are finished with a similar veneer, instead of the usual black paint.

TLS Guy uses the very similar Seas W18 drivers in his speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I have a friend who lives in the Ozark area- you would be appalled by what people do when they cut trees on their land. Lots of fire wood. OTOH, they have a lot of portable sawmills, too.

highfigh

highfigh

White oak is common in the USA, at least, it used to be. At an earlier time, a lot of furniture was made with solid white oak that survives today. I don't know if white oak trees are still common, but I hope so.
Those mid woofers are Seas W16s. I have that same model speaker, but finished in ropey cherry veneer instead of white oak. No wonder I like them ;).

I also like how the plinths are finished with a similar veneer, instead of the usual black paint.

White Oak is still very common- look for Oak trees with rounded leaf tips- those are White Oak, the pointy tipped leaves are on Red Oak. Whether the trees are suitable for boards or veneer is up to the location, soil nutrition and crowding by other trees.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the plinths are finished with a similar veneer, instead of the usual black paint.
I could go either way with that. Probably have to stick with black as a preference. I see it as having a small veneered thing with a huge veneered thing as opposed to a cool black stand for a huge veneered thing. Plus the black ones are rounded off some.

The grey colored veneer has gotten my attention lately. With the grain showing through, it's like stone colored wood. Salk must love having the reputation of second-to-none finishes.

highfigh

highfigh

I could go either way with that. Probably have to stick with black as a preference. I see it as having a small veneered thing with a huge veneered thing as opposed to a cool black stand for a huge veneered thing. Plus the black ones are rounded off some.

The grey colored veneer has gotten my attention lately. With the grain showing through, it's like stone colored wood. Salk must love having the reputation of second-to-none finishes.
Is the grain highlighted with tan or white? That's sometimes called a 'pickled' finish and it was popular in the '50s for cabinets. It has been used often over the last few centuries.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm used to the black plinth too, so I doubt if I would pay extra for veneered ones. When I look at them, I see only the veneer on the rather tall speaker cabinets, and never notice the black plinths. They're well below eye level.

I've always like how Salk hides a smaller board between the main cabinet and the plinth, making the cabinet look like it's floating ½" above the plinth.
I don't care for that look, but I've only seen photos of them. I seem to like natural wood tones over the more muted grey or black.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Is the grain highlighted with tan or white? That's sometimes called a 'pickled' finish and it was popular in the '50s for cabinets. It has been used often over the last few centuries.
Whenever Jim Salk alters the natural color of wood veneers, he uses a dye applied after several clear coats of finish were first put on, followed by many more clear coats. I don't know what color dye he uses for the white oak, but it looks like natural white oak after it's aged for a bunch of years. There are probably a variety of ways to achieve that look.

highfigh

highfigh

Whenever Jim Salk alters the natural color of wood veneers, he uses a dye applied after several clear coats of finish were first put on, followed by many more clear coats. I don't know what color dye he uses for the white oak, but it looks like natural white oak after it's aged for a bunch of years. There are probably a variety of ways to achieve that look.
Those materials are often called 'tint' or 'toners'. They're used for furniture and a bit more recently, for restoring old radio cabinets. The clear coating prevents blotchiness and uneven absorption by the wood.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the grain highlighted with tan or white?
In the speakers I was talking about, I believe the stain is black or grey.

Salk hides a smaller board between the main cabinet and the plinth, making the cabinet look like it's floating ½" above the plinth.
I call that a reveal. Even at work, those are extra. That's how you know somebody had money to burn.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief

Yeah Stewart, down here in South White oak is plentiful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis