NHT Classic Four Floorstanding Speaker System Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
NHT is a small but highly respected loudspeaker company located in Benicia, CA. They have earned a well-deserved reputation for speakers that sound superb, feature innovative, straightforward engineering, and utilize the highest quality materials for great cosmetics and fit-‘n-finish. At $1,349 each, the Classic Four 4-way floorstanding speakers certainly can’t be considered inexpensive, but just based on the quality of the materials and workmanship, they appear to more than justify their asking price. How do they sound? In a one word superb!

But, you're gonna have to read the review to get all of the details.

Read: NHT Classic Four Floorstanding Speaker System Review

Have you heard or owned NHT speakers? Share your experiences here.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do you have the measurements from the bass response of the Classic 4, to show
the in room response?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I probably missed it when scanning the article, but what were the reference speakers?
Steve mentions 12" woofers in a sealed cabinet and I can't think of a modern speaker that is so designed (though I like the idea).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. But I thought Audioholics did their own tests/measurements. I trust them over S&V. :)
Well maybe they can turn the truck around and send it to the Audioholics lab,
and then maybe compare the measurements.:)

Ultimate AV (formerly owned by Stereophile) was more thorough with the
measurements over the ones from S&V.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks. But I thought Audioholics did their own tests/measurements. I trust them over S&V. :)
Steve Feinstein doesn't have measurement capability. So it was either NOT have the speaker reviewed or have a seasoned vet give his subjective opinion and analysis. Since he has 40+ years experience in this industry, I thought his impressions would be quite useful.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Steve81 is to measurement mics as zieglj01 is to cameras. One of these days we're gonna have to pass the hat for both. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Steve81 is to measurement mics as zieglj01 is to cameras. One of these days we're gonna have to pass the hat for both. :)
As stated wrong Steve - and do they still call them things cameras?:)

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
My NHT 2.5i goes down to 28Hz! I measured -3db point in my room at 31Hz. I don't think NHT makes them the way they used to! Although you wouldn't know it from the looks alone, the Classic Fours look very nice indeed!

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
Isn't this talk about the specs nitpicking? Most tower speakers at that price are skinny 2.5-ways that don't have bass as deep as these NHT's. (Who does better? Probably the SVS Ultra Tower.) He's comparing them to larger and more expensive speakers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Isn't this talk about the specs nitpicking? Most tower speakers at that price are skinny 2.5-ways that don't have bass as deep as these NHT's. (Who does better? Probably the SVS Ultra Tower.) He's comparing them to larger and more expensive speakers.
No, its far from nit picking. Its not specs we're after. We are after bench test results. Its all about perception. Audioholics has set the standard or bar if you will with reviews accompanied with measurements. We now expect that bar to be maintained. Call us spoiled. :) I've counted two reviews now, the NHT and the Yamaha RX-A2040 where the reviews were not accompanied by bench test results. It looks bad. Gene responded saying that he didn't have the resources available, be it people or time and that he put his trust in the reviewers. I understand that. But the perception of a review without bench test results comes across as a subjective review. Maybe, the reviewer should introduce themselves in the review giving a quick blurb about their background. That may ease the perception of a subjective review. That's the point.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
To toss in my 2 cents, I'll admit to being a bit surprised by the "idiotic “27 Hz” number" comment. I know AH doesn't pull punches, but it's surprising to see nonetheless (particularly if SF didn't perform any measurements).

With respect to the comparison with his reference speakers...
I can assure you, the Classic Four’s bass impact and extension were not even in the same universe as my reference speakers.
I'm not sure why that would be a surprise. Even if the Classic Four's meet their 27Hz rating, by SF's own admission they're ostensibly at a considerable disadvantage to his reference speakers, which boast more than double the cone area as well as deeper in room extension courtesy of their sealed design plus a little bass boost.

U

User5910

Enthusiast
Re: Specs, "Frequency Response: 27 Hz–20 kHz [no +/- dB tolerance given on web page specs or in brochure, see attached pictures]"

Audioholics,

Please RTFM. The NHT Series Three and Four manual states the frequency response with tolerance on page 5:

27Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB​

S

Shalmaneser

Audiophyte
I love my NHT 2.5s. Time and again, I've left audiophile stores thinking 'they didn't have anything impressive enough to spend five figures on'. I often wonder where the latest NHTs stand in the audiophile food chain. No one carries them locally any more. The shop where I bought the 2.5's moved to the expensive part of town and replaced their entire inventory with hardware that averages into the five figure range (that's per component/speaker). They haven't instituted a credit check at the door, but I think they'd like to. (Getting time to replace/upgrade) No one does a www videocardbenchmark net (Sorry, can't post hot links yet) style ranking of speakers. Aside for obvious issues with objectivity, time, money, and space issues... A committee of trained listeners using a standardized room could be reasonably successful! After all, we have Olympic & World competitions which accomplish the same thing, in real time and for all to see!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis