Next speaker upgrade advice

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Looking to upgrade from my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s. Don’t have the space for much bigger. Also not looking for a lateral or just a little better or different. Looking for much better, price below $1k.
Any suggestions?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sierra-1s with NrT? I think that's a much better speaker than the 170SE (I have both).

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I personally don’t think you’ll find MUCH better at 1k.

You could get slight improvement in aesthetics, tonality, and naming.

SQ? Hard to find a more linear speaker.

Lovinthehd brings up a good point too. There’s a reason Ascend sells the Sierra 1 and NRT for a higher cost. Whether it’s worth the extra money to you is completely up to you.

Edit: Do you have the 170SE or the 170?

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
I personally don’t think you’ll find MUCH better at 1k.

You could get slight improvement in aesthetics, tonality, and naming.

SQ? Hard to find a more linear speaker.

Lovinthehd brings up a good point too. There’s a reason Ascend sells the Sierra 1 and NRT for a higher cost. Whether it’s worth the extra money to you is completely up to you.

Edit: Do you have the 170SE or the 170?
The 170

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Okay my statement changes then.

I agree with Lovinthehd at this point and think the S1 w/ or w/o NRT would be a good choice. Even going to the 170SE would provide improvement.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My thinking is, if you're gonna upgrade, make it worthy. I think you'll hear improvements with the Sierra 1 or 2. I have Ascend Acoustic speakers too and they're among the best I've heard. I've had a fair number of speakers through my system too. I haven't heard the NrT but I've seen measurements compared to the RAAL tweeters and there isn't a huge gap between them.

I commented in another thread that I'm not certain I could pick them out in a DBT, they measure so closely. I have some hearing loss, which is why I doubt myself, but I would like to try sometime.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Would you think JBL studio 530 to be an upgrade or just lateral? I see they can be had now for $300

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you think JBL studio 530 to be an upgrade or just lateral? I see they can be had now for $300
Those are pretty nice speakers, awesome speakers for that price, but still seems like a lateral move. You gotta bump the budget some more if you want something significant.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have some of those too but really haven't used them except as surrounds. I think the Sierra-1 is a better speaker even without direct comparo, tho think the 170SE would be likely more lateral. Now that I think about it, can you use the 590s? They're on sale for less than $1k, a few days ago at least, and that's even better.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To get a really substantial upgrade over the CBM-170, I would be looking at more expensive speakers than $1k. I would be looking at something like the BMR Philharmonitor or the Revel M105. If you are using a sub, check out a pair of Outlaw LCRv2s. RBH SV-61R speakers would also be extremely good. Polk L200s would be a very significant upgrade as well.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I like Revel. I guess I should save my $$ for those. Used to work close to the Harmon store in manhattan. They had all the Revels and Mark Levinson stuff in the basement. Was a fun place to waste some time during lunch

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Harman is also inclusive of JBL like Revel (and Crown). Plus others. The tech and manufacturing traverses brands too. Revel is a great choice, especially when higher aesthetics are involved...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Also consider the JBL HDI-1600.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I wish but just too big for my space. I’ve heard them and like em. Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com