News from Marantz The 8002

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Still not ready for prime time. Going to hold off until the HDCP 2.2 comes standard, not offered as a future hardware upgrade

"There are 8 HDMI inputs including 1 conveniently located on the front panel, and 3 HDMI outputs that let you drive 2 different displays in the main room (flat panel and front projector, for example) and another HDMI display in the 2nd zone, and they conform to the latest HDMI specification for 4K Ultra HD compatibility. HDCP 2.2 will be supported via future upgrade (requires hardware modification)."

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I would spend the kind of money like I did on my 8801 again so I will pass and wait until the X7200W get its latest FW update and dropped below $1,500. Then I can sell my power amps. I trust the 7200 will be every bit just as good since I have no need to use the balanced outputs. In fact the Denon link is something I do miss.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The X7200 is already for sale for $2999.00 at AudioGuru's.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hardware upgrade = you gotta send it to an authorized service center = no AVR for a couple of weeks.

Far from ideal :(

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Still not ready for prime time. Going to hold off until the HDCP 2.2 comes standard, not offered as a future hardware upgrade

"There are 8 HDMI inputs including 1 conveniently located on the front panel, and 3 HDMI outputs that let you drive 2 different displays in the main room (flat panel and front projector, for example) and another HDMI display in the 2nd zone, and they conform to the latest HDMI specification for 4K Ultra HD compatibility. HDCP 2.2 will be supported via future upgrade (requires hardware modification)."

I got to hear this unit yesterday at my local dealer. Nice, But no support for HDCP 2.2, and not only is it not backwards compatible, many new 4K devices don't even support it. I'm going to wait
Hardware upgrade = you gotta send it to an authorized service center = no AVR for a couple of weeks.

Far from ideal :(

you know I thought about this update and asked my local dealer who I was visiting while looking at some Revel F208s and the Triton 1's, a new TV and a new Marantz 8002. After a discussion with the owner, I would rather have a Authorized dealer/ repair center do the update instead of me and I'm pretty techy and I don't want to have one of those "ah poop moments', then you are totally up the creek, not only will it cost to have your unit fixed since the update you tried to do took it out of warranty, so your out of a AVR or a separate and your wallet is going to be hit.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I got to hear this unit yesterday at my local dealer. Nice, But no support for HDCP 2.2, and not only is it not backwards compatible, many new 4K devices don't even support it. I'm going to wait

you know I thought about this update and asked my local dealer who I was visiting while looking at some Revel F208s and the Triton 1's, a new TV and a new Marantz 8002. After a discussion with the owner, I would rather have a Authorized dealer/ repair center do the update instead of me and I'm pretty techy and I don't want to have one of those "ah poop moments', then you are totally up the creek, not only will it cost to have your unit fixed since the update you tried to do took it out of warranty, so your out of a AVR or a separate and your wallet is going to be hit.
I think you slightly misunderstood my point.

"Most" updates would simply be a firmware update and nowadays those are pretty much always done by the end user via the network. Of course, there is still a lot of room for error or glitches that brick your AVR. It happens.

I'm saying that a HW upgrade is a PITA as compared to a firmware upgrade.

Firmware-- maybe an hour of downtime and you are ready to roll.

HW-- you will be without your AVR for a couple weeks while the service center performs the upgrade. That sucks!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think you slightly misunderstood my point.

"Most" updates would simply be a firmware update and nowadays those are pretty much always done by the end user via the network. Of course, there is still a lot of room for error or glitches that brick your AVR. It happens.

I'm saying that a HW upgrade is a PITA as compared to a firmware upgrade.

Firmware-- maybe an hour of downtime and you are ready to roll.

HW-- you will be without your AVR for a couple weeks while the service center performs the upgrade. That sucks!

Got ya. Heck ya firmware would be nice, but this takes some hardware to make it happen. I would hate to be without my AVR or separate for a week or even months

But like any copyright , someone is going to break the code.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

Which unit are you referring to that you dealer had, the 8802 or the Denon 7200. It's my derstanding that the 8802 hasn't even hit the US shores yet, but if so, what is your dealers name if he is stocking it? 8802 isn't supposed to launch until March.

On HDCP 2.2, pretty much every 2014 UHD TV supports it, though not in full bandwidth and it's only 4:2:0 vs.4:4:4 color.

UHD Blue Ray players will require it. I am confused on another point you brought up. HDCP 2.2 is not backwards compatible? This is not what I have read from various sites, so this is news to me?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Got ya. Heck ya firmware would be nice, but this takes some hardware to make it happen. I would hate to be without my AVR or separate for a week or even months

But like any copyright , someone is going to break the code.
To be clear, we are talking a hardware upgrade = a silicon chip upgrade.

But yeah, it's only a matter of time (probably a short time) before 2.2 is obsolete. It will be defeated. As usual, the honest adopters get screwed and the people that defeat DRM don't.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
After further research, I am definitely taking the Av8802 over the Denon x7200. Saw a nice comparison on the avs forum with pictures

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1535197-marantz-av8802-13-2-xlr-processor-hdmi-2-0-isf-wifi-bluetooth-details-41.html
If you need the extra features, like the better look; and don't mind the extra >$1,000, then it is a easy decision. I just hope you wouldn't be influenced by the hearsay about the "warm" sound thing that keep going around and people keep believing as facts.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you need the extra features, like the better look; and don't mind the extra >$1,000, then it is a easy decision. I just hope you wouldn't be influenced by the hearsay about the "warm" sound thing that keep going around and people keep believing as facts.
I was actually looking at the hardware differences.

- It uses double the capacity 10,000uF
- The 8802 HDMI Board went though a lot of contortions to add additional filter capacitors (jitter reduction reasons).
- The Chassis in general is more solid

The build quality/hardware is definitely not the same as 7200, which I originally thought. Those are the facts. I never stated the more "warm" sound was a decision factor for me as I 100% agree with you adjectives are not measurements.

The main point I was trying to make is that they are not the same build minus amplification.

If I actually pay list price for anything the >1k would make a difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The ONLY thing I care about these days is how they actually sound. If both Denon & Marantz believe their equivalent products sound the same, I couldn't care less about the minor hardware differences because the parts difference don't add up to $1000 in parts.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The build quality/hardware is definitely not the same as 7200, which I originally thought. Those are the facts.
I never thought they would be totally the same but some of the main components such as the DAC would likely be the same while some will be different. For example, the transformers and caps have to be totally different. For one thing, one has power amps, larger heat sinks, power transformers, transistors and fans while the other, being just a prepro, should have smaller power transformer (but toroidal), capacitors and heat sinks.

I never stated the more "warm" sound was a decision factor for me as I 100% agree with you adjectives are not measurements.

And I never said you stated that, I referred to someone in the posts you linked. I don't remember which one but might have been the one who claimed having sold a lot of Marantz. The dealer person is obviously and naturally biased so I tend to ignore his comments though not totally.
The main point I was trying to make is that they are not the same build minus amplification.
I always assume that were not the same build minus amp. My bottom line is that different or better build do not necessarily result in audible sound quality and at the level of the two I am quite confident the point of diminishing return has been reached, or closely approached. I would wait for the 2016/7 models for sure.

By the way, I once wrote to Marantz about the diferences between the 4520 and the 8801 (after purchasing the 8801) and was told to expect no sound quality difference. You won't believe the reason he cited.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The ONLY thing I care about these days is how they actually sound. If both Denon & Marantz believe their equivalent products sound the same, I couldn't care less about the minor hardware differences because the parts difference don't add up to $1000 in parts.
I actually thought the $1,000 4520 and $1,999 8801 are great deals now for those not interested in the latest features and the incremental electronic upgrades.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Sound is not the ONLY thing I care about in my pre/pro. Video is also important because I do about 50/50 music and movies. Build Quality is important to me as well, and to a much lessor degree, the actual Aesthetics of the unit. So we are different buyers, and I was posting my reasons as why it's a better fit for me.

Even if two units sound the same, I would rather use the one that has better quality components for the reliability and longevity of the unit. So I care about Sound/Video and build quality in my pre/pro. I know you keep bringing up the 1k Difference and I can definitely see your point, but the prices I have been quoted on both units (dealer) are more around the $600.00 range for me, so its not as drastic of a decision.

I will be able to check them both out at AXPONA in April, as D&M will be there

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sound is not the ONLY thing I care about in my pre/pro. Video is also important because I do about 50/50 music and movies. Build Quality is important to me as well, and to a much lessor degree, the actual Aesthetics of the unit. So we are different buyers, and I was posting my reasons as why it's a better fit for me.

Even if two units sound the same, I would rather use the one that has better quality components for the reliability and longevity of the unit. So I care about Sound/Video and build quality in my pre/pro. I know you keep bringing up the 1k Difference and I can definitely see your point, but the prices I have been quoted on both units (dealer) are more around the $600.00 range for me, so its not as drastic of a decision.

I will be able to check them both out at AXPONA in April, as D&M will be there
That sounds like an easy decision for you then since you are after the look and quality even if the sound quality between the two are the same. One thing I am sure, the Denon won't sound better, the Marantz may, though I have my doubt base on past experience with units at this price point.

If I don't have all the amps sitting around my next update will be back to the Denon, but with all the amps, I would likely go for the 8802 at deep discount in 2016/17 or wait till 2018 as long as the price difference is not so close to 1K.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sound is not the ONLY thing I care about in my pre/pro.
If you care even more in you two channel system, try the Oppo HA-1. With that little thing in place, I am at the point now I can say I have not heard anything better and feel no more itch to upgrade. I will just buy its successor when it becomes available, for my second two channel system.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you care even more in you two channel system, try the Oppo HA-1. With that little thing in place, I am at the point now I can say I have not heard anything better and feel no more itch to upgrade. I will just buy its successor when it becomes available, for my second two channel system.
After I finally get through, with the disaster which is the rehab of my house, I plan to go two channel in my 3rd bedroom, and try a different pair of mains. I am interested in the Oppo HA-1 or its successor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis