Newly Purchased Marantz NR1605

K

Kevin Revallo

Audiophyte
OK... The ONLY reason I purchased this AVR is because of space limitations... My other half! decided on this piece of furniture to have in our living room which left me with VERY limited options... side cabinets will not fit the standard 19" equipment, however the shelves are adjustable for height. The center shelf would fit a 19"+ piece of equipment, but height had to under 5.75"... Hence the purchase of the 1605...

Now with that said, I am in the mode of purchasing speakers - the 1605 only has 50wpc so I am considering an external amp to power the fronts. I am looking at Polk Audio for the complete set and I am wondering with the addition of the external amp, will the center, surround and powered sub still be within reason of the AVR...?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your knowledge in advance!

Kevin

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Marantz can drive a lot of speakers - if you are not looking
for extreme loudness. How loud will you have permission to play
your speakers?

What is your overall budget?

What is the size of your room - and what are you restricted to
speaker wise and for placement.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice that the NR1605 has pre-outs! You may want to buy your speakers and see how far you are cranking the volume before throwing down the money for an external amp.

K

Kevin Revallo

Audiophyte
Nothing extreme at all, would like the flexibility to watch a good movie loud, but not to the point of having the police show up (without popcorn!). When playing music - would like to play loud and again nothing extreme...Room size is 20x20 with cathedral ceilings. However the "listening area would be 20 deep by 15 wide...

Speaker placement, I was looking at Polk floor models for the front, and book shelf for surround...

Budget wise would like to keep below $1500. for everything (fronts, surround, center and sub).. will do research on web to find best price...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
My experience, going thru AVR's to separates... Get an AVR with preouts, and see if it fits your needs. If not, buy an AMP!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Here's a one word answer: Klipsch

As you consider speakers, look at their efficiency/sensitivity. Each additional 3db of sensitivity gives you twice as much output from the same input.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis