A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Hi! Looking to set up a HT in our loft area. We have a cable outlet there (Xfiniity) and I have an older Marantz SR5005 receiver. Have not purchased a big screen TV yet, but it looks like I would need a cable box from Xfiniity to connect HDMI in to the receiver…
HDMI out would then go to the TV. The recieve would then break out sound from the HDMI in connection and send out to the speakers I have placed. Do I have that right? Apologies in advance for the silly questions. I was hoping to not pay Xfiniity for another cable box but I don’t see how to do this without one.
Thanks!

D

dolynick

Audioholic
You would either go:

A) HDMI into the receiver with pass-through to the TV.
or
B) HDMI into the TV and then HDMI E-ARC out to the TV.

Ultimately, the way you opt to do it will depend on specific hardware as well as certain specific finer points on setup that you prefer.

The modernists will probably tell you to go B, but that depends on both your TV and your Receiver supporting E-ARC, as well as the technology actually working right. This in theory will let your TV (and it's remote) control the receiver and turn it more into a supporting device.

Option A is a bit more old-school and the way I would do it. This also gives you On Screen menus from your Receiver. This method is sort of the opposite of A in that it turns the TV into just a screen and virtually everything else is controlled by the receiver and it's remote. I typically find input switching for multiple devices to be far better handled by the receiver than trying to use the TV's smart interface nonsense to switch inputs.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
You would either go:

A) HDMI into the receiver with pass-through to the TV.
or
B) HDMI into the TV and then HDMI E-ARC out to the TV.

Ultimately, the way you opt to do it will depend on specific hardware as well as certain specific finer points on setup that you prefer.

The modernists will probably tell you to go B, but that depends on both your TV and your Receiver supporting E-ARC, as well as the technology actually working right. This in theory will let your TV (and it's remote) control the receiver and turn it more into a supporting device.

Option A is a bit more old-school and the way I would do it. This also gives you On Screen menus from your Receiver. This method is sort of the opposite of A in that it turns the TV into just a screen and virtually everything else is controlled by the receiver and it's remote. I typically find input switching for multiple devices to be far better handled by the receiver than trying to use the TV's smart interface nonsense to switch inputs.
Thanks! I like option A as well. The other thing I was thinking of was just to purchase an Apple TV and forgo the Xfinity box.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The SR5005 is an older unit that supports HD 1080p, HDMI 1.4a and ARC, but not eARC. If purchasing a new 4K TV that supports HDMI 2.0/2.1 and HDCP 2.2/2.3, you will need to connect any new 4K streaming device directly to the TV and use ARC to get audio back to the SR5005. ARC is dependent on HDMI-CEC to work and it will need to be turned ON in any new TV and in the SR5005.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
The SR5005 is an older unit that supports HD 1080p, HDMI 1.4a and ARC, but not eARC. If purchasing a new 4K TV that supports HDMI 2.0/2.1 and HDCP 2.2/2.3, you will need to connect any new 4K streaming device directly to the TV and use ARC to get audio back to the SR5005. ARC is dependent on HDMI-CEC to work and it will need to be turned ON in any new TV and in the SR5005.
Thanks! Gotcha on the ARC.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
If I decide to upgrade my receiver, what do you guys typically do with the old one? Take to an electronics recycling center? Not sure anyone would want such an old model…

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If I decide to upgrade my receiver, what do you guys typically do with the old one? Take to an electronics recycling center? Not sure anyone would want such an old model…
Use it in a second system. Bedroom, den, garage etc. I have three of four old ones in use here. I’ve also used them to start a system for friends or family, planting little seeds.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at potentially upgrading to the Onkyo TX-NR6100.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Agree I would hang on to it and use it in another room With another setup. Maybe not now but in the future. A good receiver should last for years. If you don’t have the room consider offering it to a friend. I have passed on a lot of old equipment to family and friends over the years.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
What specific features would the change in receiver bring for you?
I like the 4k switching but there is a lot that the Marantz has going good for it like the Audessy EQ. Not sure how that compares to others like Onkyo or Yamaha’s. Who knows. I might just keep the Marantz. Definitely cheaper to keep.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like the 4k switching but there is a lot that the Marantz has going good for it like the Audessy EQ. Not sure how that compares to others like Onkyo or Yamaha’s. Who knows. I might just keep the Marantz. Definitely cheaper to keep.
Haven't gone 4k display yet myself even tho I do have some gear that's 4k capable. Marantz these days offers not just Audyssey but an option to pay for and use a Dirac license too; some models can handle up to 4 independently set subs (for delay/level) too. Personally am more a Denon fan, fairly much same gear as Marantz as sister brands but with a better price. Yamaha uses their own YPAO and Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra uses their own AccuEQ (with a little MCACC thrown in) but also Dirac (and is included with the avr price). Even for 4k you can often have workarounds for the audio. Might try zkelectronics.com to help compare feature set among various avrs.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
Haven't gone 4k display yet myself even tho I do have some gear that's 4k capable. Marantz these days offers not just Audyssey but an option to pay for and use a Dirac license too; some models can handle up to 4 independently set subs (for delay/level) too. Personally am more a Denon fan, fairly much same gear as Marantz as sister brands but with a better price. Yamaha uses their own YPAO and Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra uses their own AccuEQ (with a little MCACC thrown in) but also Dirac (and is included with the avr price). Even for 4k you can often have workarounds for the audio. Might try zkelectronics.com to help compare feature set among various avrs.
Ive had both Denon and Yamaha in the past. I think I prefer Denon as I had some issues with the Yamaha receiver. I will take a look at that site. Thanks!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The Xfinity app is available in some new TVs and most of the set top box functionality is supported in it. If the Smart TV app is sufficient, a set top box and external streamer may not be necessary at all. I’d keep the SR5005 for a time and spend the saved money on a nice new big TV that supports the Xfinity app.

A

AlfieArch

Audioholic Intern
The Xfinity app is available in some new TVs and most of the set top box functionality is supported in it. If the Smart TV app is sufficient, a set top box and external streamer may not be necessary at all. I’d keep the SR5005 for a time and spend the saved money on a nice new big TV that supports the Xfinity app.

Good idea! I probably will end up keeping the ST5005 for awhile.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis