Newbie needs some help.... DLP related

W

Wamba

Audiophyte
I am about to purchase a DLP HDTV. I know many of your posts extoll Mitsubishi units, but I had a bad experience in the past and won't buy that brand.

I am looking at 61 or 62" units, preferable with the HD+2 chipset.

At this time, my best combination price/features/availability ranks as such:
1. Toshiba 62HM94
2. JVC HD-61Z575
3. Samsung P-6163W (has the HD3 chip)

I have not ordered a set as yet. I would appreciate any comments/experience you've had with any of these units. I will be using for viewing HDTV via cable, DVD via an upconverting DVD player and very limited gaming ( I know of the Samsung limitation there.)

THank you in advance.

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
Wamba,
I'm also in the market for a similar DLP and was actually considering the Toshiba 62HM84. Whats the difference between the 84 & the 94? BTW, I've read many good reviews for the Toshiba 62HM84 model.

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
84 no cablecard and built in tuner 94 has cc and built in tuner.
i have the 52hm84 i love it. YMMV

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Wamba said:
I am about to purchase a DLP HDTV. I know many of your posts extoll Mitsubishi units, but I had a bad experience in the past and won't buy that brand.
THank you in advance.
Most of the Mitsu praise I've seen goes for their rear-projection big-boxes (except, of course, for that shiney screen)

The Samsung xx63 units are listed on the Audioholics recomended list for the $ 5K system. They are certainly very price-competitive, even when bought at Circuit City (but maybe not so at Best Buy). While Samsung doesn't enjoy the quality image of Sony, I've had several of their smaller components (low-price TV, VCR's etc) last ten years or more. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wamba

Audiophyte
Toshiba is the choice

Clayman, I pulled the trigger on the 62HM94 set by Toshiba. It will arrive on Tuesday. I also picked up the Samsung HT-DS1000 Home theater in a box for $650 (!) since it was the last one. Fry's electronics told me the model was discontinued. www.Outpost.com (Fry's online service) still has them listed for $699.

I went with the 94 model because I wanted the built in tuner and cablecard, though I will probably end up with a set top Cable box so I can order pay per view. I just read how the cablecard is a one way device and is not addressable; that technology will be out in the next year.

Appreciate your help, all. Will post how buying it online and setting up rolls out.

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
id wait for the new 1080p mitsus to hit later this season

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis