Newbie needs some advice

V

vsavka

Audioholic Intern
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new setup of my home theater system. About two years ago I bought Sony HT-6800 which I bought brand new with wall mounts for $260USD, really really cheap, when it wouldve cost me over 500.

I've noticed the satellite speakers don't have that good of a sound.

This will be used in the basement, with an open area of about 14x20. The area is divided into two parts, hallway and a living room, where the speakers will be standing, approx 10x20. Its a very long room but not wide.

I was looking into buying a Pioneer VSX-1016TXV-K receiver, a pair of Polk Audio R50s for front, and R15 or 20s for rears. Center speaker and a subwoofer i still havent decided yet, but would be nice to hear some advice.

ALso I will be running a projector, but as stupid as i was, only ran a component cable. Since Pioneer VSX-1016 has up conversion to component,
does that mean that if i plug in s-video it will convert it to component?

This system put together will cost me around 500USD, without central speaker and subwoofer.

Now what I was told is that I do not need a subwoofer if I have floorstanding and bookshelf speakers, is that true?
I got an advice to buy satellites for the 5.1 sound, and buy JUST floorstanding for the front for music.

Let me know if this is a good set up.

Last edited:
V

vsavka

Audioholic Intern
wow.....after i posted, another 5 ppl posted new threads and all got answered.

....thanks ,lol

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
vsavka said:
ALso I will be running a projector, but as stupid as i was, only ran a component cable. Since Pioneer VSX-1016 has up conversion to component,
does that mean that if i plug in s-video it will convert it to component?
Yes

vsavka said:
Now what I was told is that I do not need a subwoofer if I have floorstanding and bookshelf speakers, is that true? I got an advice to buy satellites for the 5.1 sound, and buy JUST floorstanding for the front for music.
If your floorstanding front speakers are truly 'full range', meaning they can accurately reproduce frequencies as low as 20Hz, then you could get away with not having a subwoofer BUT very few speakers are truly full range and certainly not the Polks you are considering.

A subwoofer has other benefits besides just being able to reproduce the low frequencies accurately. When you set up the receiver to use an appropriate xover frequency (usually 80 Hz is about right), it frees up power for the other speakers because the low frequencies are the most taxing on the amps power supply. Using a sub will allow the rest of the speakers to play more loudly and more cleanly.

By the way, when I clicked on your image Norton Antivirus immediately popped up and said it blocked an internet worm. What kind of shady site are you using for hosting pictures?

V

vsavka

Audioholic Intern
I used imageshack.us

I think the reason it tells u its a worm is because the image is in bmp format. I had problems like that before as well.

Looking at my budget here, around $500USD, is the receiver and the R50's + R15s good enough for watching regular tv + dvd movies, as well as listening to music?

Or I can get better for the same price?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If you can get it for US$500 then it's a good deal. Generally, I think it would be closer to $900.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Get the HSU Ventriloquist system with a HSU ST-1 or STF-2 subwoofer. They reduce the price of the Ventriloquist to $199, the STF-1 is $299 and the STF-2 is $399. Both are great subs and the Ventriloquist receivers rave reviews and with the STF-1, it falls right into your budget before shipping charges.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis