newbie looking to upgrade

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi there,

My KEF C-Series finally bit the dust so I'm finally going to upgrade my system.  I narrowed the range but I'm not sure if the information I'm getting is correct so any help would be appreciated.

Current System:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV-850 (circa 1990)
Fronts and Center: KEF C-Series (now blown)
Subwoofer: Velodyne F-Series
Rear: Klipsch Quartets

Goal: Upgrade to a system with current feature (5.1, 6.1, decent DSP settings, 7.1?) set for HT and audiophile performance for stereo (and future SACD/DVD Audio).  Only upgrading Fronts, Receiver, and maybe center.

Budget: $1k-$3k  (yes I know its a big range)

Initially I purchased a HK DPR-1001 but it doesn't sound much better than my 14 year old Yamaha for stereo.  The HT side is much better but mostly from a sub-out perspective.  The Yamaha was poor at that, had to do a main out/main in filtered through the subwoofer to get decent bass.

I've decided to return the HK, the guy at the Hi-Fi store is pushing the Rotel RSX-1055, though I hear that model is being replaced as we speak.  His reasoning is that the Japanese makes (HK included) all go for a very bright sound and that they lack the true power reserves necessary to drive a speaker as the variation in the signal drops its impedance down to 1 Ohm at times.

I have to say I was happy with my Yamaha but I don't know if it will cope soundwise when matched to B&amp;W or a Maggie.

Let me know what you guys think about the receivers.  Right now I'm looking at Rotel, NAD T763, Marantz sr7400, Yamaha RX-V2400.

On the speaker side I'm down to Magneplans and the B&amp;W Nautilus Series.  My Velodyne sub covers the low end well so I don't think I need to worry about the Maggies low end reach.  Does anyone have experience with these?  I know the entry level models only go down to 80hz and 40hz.  But they are rated at 4 Ohms and that will drop, so they will suck a lot of power and I don't know if these receivers can handle it.  The B&amp;Ws are solid.  I love the sound and used to own a pair of 602 S3's.  I'm thinking of the 805s or 804 but I may look at some of the 700 series speakers as well.  The Maggies seem to be a better value though.

I know I have cut a wide swath and my ear is the best judge but any experience in cutting these options down would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>My advice, go for the Yamaha RXV-2400 with the Magnepans and you will have a sweet sounding combo, the newer Mangepans have fantastic bass too. Also audition Yamaha NS-8HX if you can find them.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver,

I take it you don't agree with the dealer on his perspective of Japanese manufacturers. &nbsp;Are you confident that the Maggies can be driven by the Yamaha?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis