Newbie looking for inspiration

E

Ethio

Audiophyte
Been monitoring this website for over a year but now I need some help....

Here is the laundry list of what I currently have

Denon 3801 A/V rec
PSB Sub (Alpha series)
BA Tower speakers... Old but with newly fitted cones... and I like the sound
BA center channel THX speaker... best find on Ebay,
Mitsubishi Diamond Series RPTV / 1080i ready
Samsung DVD with upscaler (ok )

A room which is a glorified closet... 14x12 plus a 6x8 extension on one end...

The room has pretty bad acoustics so I know we will be putting up lots of fabric. Now what we would like to do is have comfy seating for 5/6... Not HT furniture since it would take up too much room but we have seen some good modern furniture that recliines... I have been working overtime to convince my wife that the tv should be retired in lieu of a projector and screen, 92-100 inch. screen would be mounted on the 12 feet side and seating (row 1) would be at the 14 foot end. row 2 would extend into the alcove...

So questions are... 1) recommendation on projector? ( been looking at the one recommended in the 12K category of the ultimate HT. 2) screen is pretty much decided that it would be the one on the same recommendation 3) Seems to me that I need either a video processor/scaler to handle SD and DVD or should I get a reciever that does that. If I get a separate scaler can I keep the current reciever?

Thx for the help...

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Projector Info.

1. Depending on your budget there are some good 1080p and 720p projectors available. For about $4k, you can get a 1080p LCD projector including the new models from Panasonic and Mitsubishi. A quality 720p projector, is a fraction of the cost at $1-2k.
Audioholics has some good projector reviews, but also check out projectorcentral.com for more reviews and a detailed shoutout of the new 1080p projectors.

2. Crada makes some quality, reasonably priced fixed screens. You might consider getting the projector first and sooting it on a white wall to determine the optimal screen size.

3. A quality DVD player like the Oppo Digital DV-981 will make DVDs look their best with front projection. Some of the new projectors include pretty good scalers so read the reviews before buying extra equipment. The limitated resolution of an SD signal will be magnified on a big screen and there is only so much that upscaling can do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis