Newbie lookin to buy some new equipment!

G

Goat

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Yo!
I'm new to the stereo world.

I have 1000 dollars to spend on a receiver and surround sound speakers.
It will be mainly used for music, but i will watch movies as well so speakers that will be good for both is a must pretty much.
I am interested in SACD and DVDAudio as well, but that will have to be a future purchase of SACD and DVD audio equipment.
I have a cd player already, a TEAC CD-P1120.
the system will be for a 11x11 room, but i might move it into the living room later which is significantly bigger.
i have an idea for the receiver, the Yamaha RX-V1400. im pretty intent on that one, cuz im starting to assemble my home theater system, which will include dvd player, video game systems, and a nice tv. i have NO IDEA about the speakers tho.

i guess what im asking is your opinion on the receiver, and what i should buy for speakers. the receiver is currently 550 dollars, which ive seen priced everywhere but im guessing it is bound to go down since its after xmas.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer!</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>yo goat! the rxv1400 is a great pic. It is almost identicle to the rxv2400. The main difference for the price is a macro remote on the 2400, video source to zone 2 and a rs232 that may or may not be used for upgrades later on. Saving on that for some speakers it sounds like your left with about 400 or 500 hundred to play with. A home theater package is probably the best route to go or possibly you can find some great prices on closeout models for floorstanding speakers. One way is to put that money and just focus on the stereo speakers for now and add the center and surrounds later when funds are available. You can find excellent entry level bookshelf or floorstanding speakers from klipsch, canton, polk, boston and almost any other major speaker manufacturer, just do some searching on the internet or at your local dealer. Listen to what you like and don't confuse price with quality. By the way stay away from BOZE, LOL, inside joke in the discussion forum. Goodluck &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Goat

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>lol, im now pretty interested in the Denon RXV-2803... and ive also heard its not a great idea to buy speakers in a set, like all 5.1 boxed together. heard u usually get crap when u buy like that.</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>Sometimes you do get crap, like I said maybe put your $ into a quality pair of front speakers for now, and look into adding the surrounds and center later. For $4-500 hundred you can at least get a pair of quality stereo speakers from a reputable manufacturer. You may not have surround sound but you will still have better stereo sound for your music. And you can still watch movies or tv in stereo.Check entry level models for klipsch, polk, boston, energy, definitive.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis