M

mykezm3

Enthusiast
hi all my name is mike and i am new to your forum. like many i am looking to put together a home theatre system. i will probably go with the sony 52" lcd bravia. now as for the reciever and speakers i am at a total loss.with reading reviews and listening to sales people i am confused. the denon 5800 series seems to have alot of flexibility and room to grow but 1 sales person said rotel was much better as far as sound quality. he also said that there was no need for 7.1 or even 9.1.same goes for speaker sytems. so i would love to here any and all recomendations on recievers and speakers. i know there is alot out there so lets say you had about 10k to spend what would you get,thanks.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
mykezm3 said:
hi all my name is mike and i am new to your forum. like many i am looking to put together a home theatre system. i will probably go with the sony 52" lcd bravia. now as for the reciever and speakers i am at a total loss.with reading reviews and listening to sales people i am confused. the denon 5800 series seems to have alot of flexibility and room to grow but 1 sales person said rotel was much better as far as sound quality. he also said that there was no need for 7.1 or even 9.1.same goes for speaker sytems. so i would love to here any and all recomendations on recievers and speakers. i know there is alot out there so lets say you had about 10k to spend what would you get,thanks.
IMO the first thing you should start doing is auditioning speakers. Once you've found the speakers with the sound qualities you like. Then you can look for electronics. Electronics should be somewhere around 50% of whatever your speaker budget is.

Bring your favorite material to demo (CD, DVD's) and take your time. Make this fun and enjoy it.

Recommended speakers

Dynaudio
B&W
Paradigm Studio's
Canton Vento
Kef
Revel
Focal JM Lab
Monitor Audio
AV123 http://www.av123.com/specials.php

Subs

www.svsound.com

www.hsuresearch.com

M

mykezm3

Enthusiast
thanks for the needed input and the links,best regards

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Again this is my own opinion. But once you get to a certain level with speakers. The decision to stay with a Receiver vs. Pre/Pro comes into play. I feel that level is over $5000 for your mains. Other might feel different to this. But that's why it's a hobby and everyone has an opinion.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
mazersteven said:
IMO the first thing you should start doing is auditioning speakers. Once you've found the speakers with the sound qualities you like. Then you can look for electronics. Electronics should be somewhere around 50% of whatever your speaker budget is.

Bring your favorite material to demo (CD, DVD's) and take your time. Make this fun and enjoy it.

Recommended speakers

Dynaudio
B&W
Paradigm Studio's
Canton Vento
Kef
Revel
Focal JM Lab
Monitor Audio
AV123 http://www.av123.com/specials.php

Subs

www.svsound.com

www.hsuresearch.com
I second most of those (especially KEF :D ), and add Sonusfaber, DALI, NHT, and RBH for speakers, and for subwoofers add Velodyne, Axiom.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
$10K will get you one helluva system. It would help to know the requirements of the room. What are the dimensions? Is it a dedicated room or more of a family room open to other areas? What features are needed in the processing gear (receiver/separates)?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Above your budget...

but you are so close to it:

Phase Technology dARTS system. 5.1 system is around $14,500 and a 7.2 system around $17,500. It comes available in-wall or in-room with a 16 channel 4000 watt digital amplifier and, among other things, a calibration system so that it sounds perfect regardless of any room issues. All you need is a pre-amp, DVD player, and a PC for first time set-up. Best system I have ever heard at any price point (I have heard a lot, including systems from JBL Synthesis and Meridian which run upwards of $80K+). Reviews from all the major pubs back me up!

If you are willing to spend $10K it's obvious you want a great system. The dARTS system would take a bigger investment but, in my professional opinion as an A/V systems integrator, you can't do any better for any amount of $. Those of you into home theater and want to learn about a benchmark systems out there google some reviews of it. Word on the street is that later this month, The Absolute Sound gives it a 10/10 review.

M

mykezm3

Enthusiast
thanks everyone,well i do not have the dimensions of the room,i'll be moving in a bit. as for the room itself it will be more of a family room nothing dedicated. and 10k is alot for me i wanted speakers,reciever and wiring for that price,thanks again

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Forgot to welcome you here Mike, anyway, it almost sounds like a good system for under $5K may be more appropriate. The breakdown on components might look like this:

Receiver/Sub - <$1000 each
Remainder for speakers, although, speakers should be chosen first.

Also, be advised that new receiver models will be released starting this summer. Now is a good time to start your wish list and learn about the features that you’ll be interested in.

J

jrd5853

Enthusiast
avrat,

how do you like your def tech in-walls? they(III) are next on my to do list along w/ the pro center2. they will be hooked up to a the denon 2307.

J

jrd5853

Enthusiast
do-over

AvRat,

Sorry about the last thread I got excited like when I found out my girlfriend(now wife) had a hot mom.

I saw that you own Def Tech's and I wanted to know what you think about them. I have been doing alot of research and between two dealers i have come up with the Def Tech in-walls along with the pro 2 center. At the same time I am replacing my HTIB with a Denon 2307(ci) to push them.

It all started when I went out and bought the 191 in-walls by Bose along with thevc-10 center followed up by the 151 for rear surround. I'm not cracking on Bose but I am going to have to 86 them.

O.K. now,

I have the typical "bonus room" above my garage 12'x24'

The 53" widescreen by sony is in the wall that i had recessed into the wall (for space purposes) my lazyboy (couch) is across the room which makes them 8' apart. My sub is the Def Tech pro 1000. Nothing going on w/ the dvd player and the Onkyo is being replaced by the Denon (whole other story).........so do you like them? Pro's/Con's?

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
jrd5853

I would use matching loudspeakers placed in a flush barrier wall know as THX this will greatly extend the power and performance of the three matching loudspeakers with lower frequency response wider listening area and smoother response across the whole three-screen.

Also by placing the sub bass or sub bass units into the flush barrier wall will do great results for sub bass performance.:)

M

mykezm3

Enthusiast
thanks avrat i will definetly consider all you have said,any recommendations on models,i am one of those guys that always wants the possible best he can get at the time and price,mike.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
jrd5853, I absolutely love my Def Techs. They can handle whatever I throw at them nice and cleanly and offer great performance for the dollar. If you can still get the ProCenter C2, I would recommend it. I paid $237 for mine.

Mike, I am hesitant to recommend anything at this point until you know more about what your situation will be. The best suggestion I can offer is to shop around your community and listen to as many speakers as you can and find out what sounds good to you. Search out specialty shops as they really cater to all consumers, but the higher end gear makes them more money.

J

jrd5853

Enthusiast
Thanks AvRat, Dolby

I ordered my rls III today along w/ the c2. Thanks for the additional input on the sub. W/ the pro 1000 i was able to show my wife why spending more money is sometimes better. We were watching the 9/11 film w/ Nick Cage and the beginning part when you saw the shadow of the plane then you heard the crash. It floored her me also because in all the home theatre expierences that i have been it, this time i felt like i was there. Sorry get a great thing out of a bad time in america but that sub did its job.

I live down in the Carolinas and Def Tech is available to order through 2 stores(for listening purposes) forget listening to in-walls but the rls III are 499. which leaves the rear surround. I will have to bang out the Bose 151's for now cause the Mrs aint have it! Don't know if they are the same Timbre but a for sale sign sits on them until i can get the bi-polar Def Tech rears.

My bonus room is pitched on both sides 8' at the highest point. Carpet is on the floor and the doggies are on the couch. Once again thanks for taking the time fella's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis