Newbie help setting up home theater!

R

robgo42002

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello,

I am a home theater newbie (that should be abundantly obvious given the questions I have) and I am looking for help! &nbsp;Before I get into my questions regarding hooking up my system, here are my components. I have tried to make this as easy as possible for all of us!

1. TV - Sony KP-57WS500
2. Receiver – Sony STRDE685
3. VCR – Sony SLV-N55
4. DVD – Samsung DVD-P421
5. Satellite Receiver – Sony SAT-B65
6. Generic (?) wall-installed speakers on brackets (including an in-wall passive subwoofer) plus KLH center channel...hey, it came free with the house. &nbsp;I’ll replace them all later.

My expectations are pretty simple, really. &nbsp;I want my system hooked up as logically as possible so switching between components isn’t like an engineering project. &nbsp;Otherwise, I just want everything to work as it should.

Besides the DVD connection, I am not interested in the best money can buy. &nbsp;I have component cable for the DVD and it works fine. &nbsp;It’s when we get to the VCR and satellite receiver that I am totally confused. &nbsp;I will be watching mainly DVD’s from this system, maybe the occasional TV program or VHS and possibly record using the VCR from time to time. I would also like to have audio through the TV as well as the external speakers.

As it stands now, I can watch anything I want, however, I can’t record using the VCR. &nbsp;I attempted to route the satellite receiver through the VCR and then to the receiver and TV but I did something wrong since nothing worked after that attempt. &nbsp;I have the video monitor hooked up and the tape audio output going to the TV so I can get sound there but I am afraid I have this whole thing so rigged up I am making things too complicated for myself.

It is confusing to me at the moment (my first attempt at hooking things up) that I have to switch the receiver AND the TV to different positions to watch the different components. &nbsp;Isn’t there a way to simplify this? &nbsp;I have no idea when to use a coaxial cable and when to use composite connections for the VCR and satellite receiver. &nbsp;I have no idea if I should use the output on the TV to the receiver. &nbsp;Oh, and I also can’t tell that the subwoofer is delivering any bass at all. &nbsp;I have no idea if I missed a setting on my receiver or not since this isn’t a powered unit.

Quite simply, I am very confused and I would appreciate any advice you can give me. &nbsp;If you’d prefer to send me an e-mail, you may do so at robgo42002@yahoo.com

Again, thanks for any help.

Rob</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis