Newbie HDMI Question

J

johnmac

Audiophyte
I am sure by now, someone has asked, and had answered this, so please forgive this humble, self admitted nebie asking:

I bought a Viewsonic HD TV, and now a Directv HD+ receiver, with HDMI out.
The TV has two HDMI inputs, and I have a second HDMI device I would like to connect.
My quetion is regarding the audio side.
Does one have to hook up sepearte audio inouts on an HDMI enabled syetsm?
Thanks for your responses, I do appreciate it.
John

JVC

JVC

Banned
If you have a surround system, and want to hear surround, you need inputs and output, on your A/V receiver, for HDMI. If receiver has HDMI, that's the only cables you'll need (HDMI cable from each source, to receiver, and an HDMI cable out from receiver, to tv). If receiver don't have HDMI, you can run HDMI straight to tv for video, and digital coax or optical to receiver, for surround audio. If you are listening through the tv speakers, the HDMI is all you need, since it carries both audio and video.

J

johnmac

Audiophyte
Sound FromTV

Thanks.
The system is as follows:
DTV receiver HDMI to Viewsonic, no SRS.
External Video Box that plays HDMI output also.
Neither will use SRS, as it is just in my office.
So, Two HDMI devices to two HDMI inputs, I can add the third device (DVD/VHS player) via S cable/Audio Connections.
Truly appreciate it, I am reeady now.
John :D

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audio connections

Many source devices (DVD player, cable box, etc.)
Will let you use HDMI for the video connection to the TV and digital optical or coax for the audio connection to the receiver. For example, I have the HDMI output of my Oppo DVD player connected directly to the TV and the digital coax connected to my Yamaha receiver.

You only need the audio output on the TV if you are using an over the air antenna and want to route the audio through the receiver.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
it seems you have no external speakers and you should just go straight to the tv with hdmi.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis