Newbie - completely lost

B

bink

Audiophyte
My setup, am sure, does not cost what most do but here is what I have. New Toshiba Cinima Display 27" and Altec Lansing 6021 speakers which are 2 + 1 or 2 satalites and a sub. Speakers were used for my iPod but hooked them to the TV when we got it. Sound is fine but at times there is somewhat of a rumble (from the sub) when nothing is going on onscreeen that would go along with this sound. Have turned the sub down but it is still there.

Thoughts appreciated.......tia - Rich

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
bink said:
My setup, am sure, does not cost what most do but here is what I have. New Toshiba Cinima Display 27" and Altec Lansing 6021 speakers which are 2 + 1 or 2 satalites and a sub. Speakers were used for my iPod but hooked them to the TV when we got it. Sound is fine but at times there is somewhat of a rumble (from the sub) when nothing is going on onscreeen that would go along with this sound. Have turned the sub down but it is still there.

Thoughts appreciated.......tia - Rich
Where do you have the crossover set? The sub may be trying to produce more sound than it is capable of.....

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
The sub may be trying to recreate some very low bass which TV and Movie people like to put into tense scenes (to make things seem more dire or urgent). Bass isn't just for 'splosions anymore!

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Actually im likely to suspect its his sub. The Altec subs with there computer speakers do not offer crossovers. Just a bass level. There not very good for anyhting but computers IMO. Very boomy. I would try some home based equipment im sure youll get a much smoother balance.

Cheers,
Glenn

annunaki

annunaki

Your sub could be picking up unwanted noise though the sub connection. Try moving it (connection) around. See if the noise increases or decreases. It could be a bad connector. There are a few variables here, including those mentioned above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis