New Yamaha TSR-7850 dead? No sound!

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
Well my limited time with home theater has been a mix of joy and frustration. I recently got a TSR-7850 from Costco, and slowly built my simple home theater setup with the help of the members here.

Today, the receiver does not output sound. it's important to mention that not even the test tones play. I tried factory resetting and still the same problem. I tried unplugging everything including all HDMI cables and just plugging in the left and right to get any sound out of it and absolutely nothing. I tried the room correction software YPAO and it just hung on the precheck at 0% complete. this is what concerns me, why should YPAO hang like that. Luckily I bought it at Costco, so hopefully the return/exchange should be fairly simple if I need to go that route.

I am hoping that one of the kids just hit something on the remote like the mute button or something (it wasn't the mute) and it's a silly little thing. An easy fix. Does anyone have a similar Yamaha receiver but I seen something like this? I literally spent hours scouring the internet for an answer to this and tried everything I know to get some sound out of it.

One strange thing was that the HDMI video did cut out off and on when I was troubleshooting. Which leads me to believe something internal. It's been sitting in an open slot in my entertainment center with two fans I want it. It is actually cool to the touch even after a movie. So I don't suspect any heat.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well my limited time with home theater has been a mix of joy and frustration. I recently got a TSR-7850 from Costco, and slowly built my simple home theater setup with the help of the members here.

Today, the receiver does not output sound. it's important to mention that not even the test tones play. I tried factory resetting and still the same problem. I tried unplugging everything including all HDMI cables and just plugging in the left and right to get any sound out of it and absolutely nothing. I tried the room correction software YPAO and it just hung on the precheck at 0% complete. this is what concerns me, why should YPAO hang like that. Luckily I bought it at Costco, so hopefully the return/exchange should be fairly simple if I need to go that route.

I am hoping that one of the kids just hit something on the remote like the mute button or something (it wasn't the mute) and it's a silly little thing. An easy fix. Does anyone have a similar Yamaha receiver but I seen something like this? I literally spent hours scouring the internet for an answer to this and tried everything I know to get some sound out of it.

One strange thing was that the HDMI video did cut out off and on when I was troubleshooting. Which leads me to believe something internal. It's been sitting in an open slot in my entertainment center with two fans I want it. It is actually cool to the touch even after a movie. So I don't suspect any heat.

Any ideas?

The receiver has a serious fault. The fact you can't hear any test tones would indicates that the power amps are likely dead. If you get sound from the headphone socket then that would confirm it. If there is no sound from the headphone socket, the problem is further up the chain. Either way you can not fix this and the receiver needs to go for service or replacement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd run a full reset as a next step, maybe even just a soft reset (unplugging it for a while).

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
I'd run a full reset as a next step, maybe even just a soft reset (unplugging it for a while).
I did both. Unfortunately, exact same issue. Last test is the headphones test when I have access to the TV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the resets don't bring it back doubt there's anything you can do but return/exchange it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Dose the display light up at least?
Did you check the mute button as well as it may have been pushed?

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
I forgot to update this thread. This morning I was going to take it back to the store and just tried one more thing : FM radio. I had sound! Also the test tones worked, so did the YPAO. I am not sure what happened. Yes everything lit up on the front panel.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyway, I was going to say that Yamaha is supposed to be #1 in reliability.

I would be disappointed if your Yamaha AVR is already broken.

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
What do you mean FM radio exactly?
I set input to tuner and tuned to a radio station. Before this, all of my other tests were done from HDMI sources, RCA cables in, and optical in. Also test tones. Nothing made of sound until I change the input to tuner and listen to the radio. Then after that everything else started working. I really can't explain why that happened.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I set input to tuner and tuned to a radio station. Before this, all of my other tests were done from HDMI sources, RCA cables in, and optical in. Also test tones. Nothing made of sound until I change the input to tuner and listen to the radio. Then after that everything else started working. I really can't explain why that happened.

That is interesting, and good to know in case someone else has the same problem in the future. :D

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
Just a quick update. Something is definitely wrong with this receiver. The sound cut out again two more times. The last time, I set input to Tuner and all speakers came on again. Then I could switch back the input to Fire Stick and Xbox and enjoyed several movies. I was a bit worried that it did it again, but I was willing to live with it.

Today, no sound again. So I switched to FM radio expecting to hear my speakers fire up like last two times and NOTHING. Now the only sound is coming from FM radio through Pure Direct mode. None of the other inputs are outputting any audio, even on pure direct mode. The front of the panel says decoder off and all the speaker are off. No matter what I try, the speaker's stay off.

So it's definitely going back tomorrow. I've had enough of this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just a quick update. Something is definitely wrong with this receiver. The sound cut out again two more times. The last time, I set input to Tuner and all speakers came on again. Then I could switch back the input to Fire Stick and Xbox and enjoyed several movies. I was a bit worried that it did it again, but I was willing to live with it.

Today, no sound again. So I switched to FM radio expecting to hear my speakers fire up like last two times and NOTHING. Now the only sound is coming from FM radio through Pure Direct mode. None of the other inputs are outputting any audio, even on pure direct mode. The front of the panel says decoder off and all the speaker are off. No matter what I try, the speaker's stay off.

So it's definitely going back tomorrow. I've had enough of this.

Send it back is all you can do. There is no end to the weird faults that complex modern electronics can produce. Just not the sort of thing that can be easily explained. No wonder good vintage gear continues to fetch high prices and continues higher.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just exchange it for another one. Costco will honor the exchange.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis