New turntable owner with a couple of questions.

J

jlindsey86

Audioholic Intern
Just got my first turntable. Its a sony ps-lx350h. So far I am pleased with it. I have a few LP's I have listend too. I have noticed though that as soon as the needle makes contact with the record you can actually hear the music coming from the cartridge I guess. Even if I dont have my receiver on, if I just have the TT going with the needle down I can still hear music. Is this normal, do I need to adjust something?
Also what does the antiskate adjustmet do. I have put it on every setting and I cant tell it does anything?

JVC

JVC

Banned
Hearing the music through the cartridge is normal. You are playing the music, and not amplifying (sp?) it with your receiver, so the music is still there.

If I remember correctly, the anti-skate adjustment helps to make sure the stylus is tracking across the record correctly. This is more critical after you have a lot of wear on the stylus.
Good luck!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
A turntable? Aren't those the thing that come with the dog attached by the ear to the cone thing coming off the top? Plays only Three Dog Night, Jimmy Hendrix, and the Beatles?
JK, I'm still tempted from time to time to take my turntable out of mothballs and compare it with the digital sound I've become accustomed to.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jlindsey86 said:
Just got my first turntable. Its a sony ps-lx350h. So far I am pleased with it. I have a few LP's I have listend too. I have noticed though that as soon as the needle makes contact with the record you can actually hear the music coming from the cartridge I guess. Even if I dont have my receiver on, if I just have the TT going with the needle down I can still hear music. Is this normal, do I need to adjust something?
Also what does the antiskate adjustmet do. I have put it on every setting and I cant tell it does anything?

Also, you want to make sure your tracking force is properly set as well. Enjoy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis