Center-504C
L and R- RP8000F x 2
Sub- R12 SW X 1
Ceiling:
L and R Mid surround CDT 5800-C x 2
L and R rear surround CDT 5800-C x 2
Zone 2:
Klipsch R-5800-W II In-Wall Speaker x 2
Is this too much for my denon receiver to power? I listen to more music than movies and stuff. Like it loud. Around 53ish it starts to sound distorted. Is this a power problem or a speaker problem? I use multi channel stereo so it comes out of them all since I’m usually not sitting in one place.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . . Denon AVR-X4500H
Center-504C
L and R- RP8000F x 2
Sub- R12 SW X 1
Ceiling:
L and R Mid surround x 2
L and R Rear surround x 2
Zone 2:
Klipsch R-5800-W II In-Wall x 2

. . . Like it loud. Around 53ish it starts to sound distorted. . .
I use multi channel stereo so it comes out of them all . . .
Is this too much for my denon receiver to power?
Yes, you need a multi-channel power amp (3 ch min, 5 ch better) because:
1) You like it loud
2) You are using the most power demanding AVR mode there is (i.e. multi-channel stereo).
- In this mode all nine channels are trying to pull a full-signal power requirement at the same time.

FWIW, suggest you invest in a dB meter and check you are not risking your hearing!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

Jnad80

Audiophyte
Ok, now that makes sense. Is there a certain wattage I should be looking for? I’m hoping I didn’t blow any of my speakers

J

Jnad80

Audiophyte
Cool. Thank you. How easy do you think it is to blow my existing ones? Hoping I didn’t screw them up

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep with that use you could be a candidate for more amp. How far away are you from the speakers? Is the 53 on the avr's absolute scale after calibrating with Audyssey or spl meter?

Did you damage them? Doubt it. Do they still sound fine if you keep the volume down? I'd not use that multich stereo mode myself, and let your most capable speakers handle the load instead of having surrounds trying to keep up with mains and if I did get an external amp I'd not only go for a significant power increase but likely only worry about the mains rather than surrounds.

J

Jnad80

Audiophyte
My volume after audyssey. For tv and movies I use the reference with the dynamic eq. For music I use multi channel stereo with dynamic eq set to L/R bypass. Guess I’m not sure how to set it up to back off the 4 ceiling ones when music is played. Do you mean just use stereo? If so I think I need to adjust my subwoofer. Seems a little overkill how it’s set now

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Playing music in two channel stereo with an 80hz crossover for the fronts wouldn’t be a bad idea and deliver plenty of volume. I’m guessing the fronts are set to Large.;)

Oh, sorry, hello and welcome to the forums.

J

Jnad80

Audiophyte
No. I have them all set to small with a 80 for crossover on all. I’m sure if I turned the subwoofer down it would be fine. At least I’m guessing it would be

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems still a bit low in level (at 53) to be stressing things considering the sensitivity of the speakers but not sure what you mean by loud nor at what distance these speakers are from the primary seat. Not sure why you need to turn the sub down if you set it up well initially....and that sub could be a weak point depending on room size to an extent.

ps Might use this http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html but I'd knock about 4dB off Klipsch's sensitivity spec to get more in line with typical specs for such.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Yikes, how hi is sub set? Gain should be around 30%, no more than 50% with crossover at LFE(MAX).

J

Jnad80

Audiophyte
Main seat is about 14 feet from LCR speakers and ceiling right above behind me and 6 or 7 feet in front and above

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Seems still a bit low in level (at 53) to be stressing things considering the sensitivity of the speakers but not sure what you mean by loud nor at what distance these speakers are from the primary seat. Not sure why you need to turn the sub down if you set it up well initially....and that sub could be a weak point depending on room size to an extent.

ps Might use this http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html but I'd knock about 4dB off Klipsch's sensitivity spec to get more in line with typical specs for such.
He's about 14 feet back from what he posted after you replied. For all channel listening and he likes to crank it I can see why at that distance he might be getting into distortion

Somewhere down the line when he has the budget for it we gotta talk him into getting some better subs! Those Klipsch subs could he a weak point like you brought up. There subs aren't very good

J

Jnad80

Audiophyte
When I go from the dynamic eq to 2 channel stereo with my sub it makes a huge difference in the sound of the sub. A lot louder and overpowering

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I go from the dynamic eq to 2 channel stereo with my sub it makes a huge difference in the sound of the sub. A lot louder and overpowering
Sounds odd. I've not had such an experience in just going from surround/multich modes to 2ch mode. Could be the sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He's about 14 feet back from what he posted after you replied. For all channel listening and he likes to crank it I can see why at that distance he might be getting into distortion

Somewhere down the line when he has the budget for it we gotta talk him into getting some better subs! Those Klipsch subs could he a weak point like you brought up. There subs aren't very good
I looked at shadyJ's review of the RP8000s, even with his measured 92 dB sensitivity for the RP8000s (vs claimed 98) and reducing the claimed sensitivity on the center/surrounds (97/95 per Klipsch).....just doesn't take that much amp power to achieve that sort of sound level on the absolute scale he's reporting bad sounds at (53 being -27 dB IIRC from reference being 80), so wonder if its an amp issue at all. Not really familiar with the speakers he's using for surrounds but can't help but wonder if the installation details of the speakers might be part of it. Can always add an external amp, maybe it will make the difference.....or maybe just use a surround mode instead of the multich stereo mode. I'm always in for a better sub :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Check gain knob and connection as well. Should be just ONE cable going from either of the subwoofer pre outs on the Denon to the LFE input on the Klipsch. In settings, subwoofer should be set to LFE, not LFE+Main or signals between the crossover and LPF will be output to the subwoofer. If gain is too high, two cables connected to sub and LFE+Main on, things could get messy. Setup correctly, that receiver should have no issue driving those two front speakers at considerable volume and the sub shouldn’t be overpowering anything. I’m guessing Zone 2 was on as well and all nine speakers were running at the time.:eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dynamic EQ to stereo? Those aren't exclusive settings. Stereo being a speaker mode and Dynamic EQ being related to Audyssey. You can do both at the same time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis