New to HT...need help.

I

IDR1219

Enthusiast
I have a room that is 19x13'.

Here is a link to the floorplan. http://www.centexhomes.com/Fox-and-Jacobs-DFW/NeighborhoodPlanFloorplans.asp?PlanID=332766&FloorPlanNumber=2

I have my TV against the right wall and my couch on the opposite wall (on the left of the room) I was thinking of getting in-ceiling speakers for my sorrounds since I can't evenly place speakers because of the short wall. I wanted to know if you guys had any other suggestions or if in-ceiling speakers would be fine?

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
Second Floor HT is Shaky

Planning for an HT system on the second floor adjacent to bedrooms may not be the best location. It precludes speakers that have any bass because the bass is transmitted through the joists and sheet rock and annoys people in the rest of the house. A serious subwoofer is out of the question, and they're what makes a good HT system rock. IMHO a serious ht shouldn't be on the second floor. They're loud, even on a carpeted slab. Before I popped for lots of dough, I'd live in the place awhile with just a tv and tv speakers to see how it is to live with. If it's okay, then start putting together a Home Theater.

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
I agree, the 2nd floor may not be the best place for a HT, especially if you have kids. Placing a door may add some relief as the two bathrooms/walk-in add some protection i would imagine.

Can you finish your basement? If you are low on dough, but still serious, then one option may be to make just one room in the basement for HT then expand when more capital becomes available. Just a thought.....

As far as arrangement, could you not place your TV on the bottom wall (towards master bed.). If it is 13 ft, that would be sufficient if your TV is even 40-45". Then the rear speaker placement would be easier. Again, just a thought.

I

IDR1219

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. I had not thought about changing the position of the TV. It is 51" so it might be too big to place it on the wall opposite the bath and closet.

Unfortunatly...not too many houses around here (in Texas) have basements...so I have to try and make do. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis