M

march222

Audiophyte
Dear All,
First of all Thank you for this site. It has opened my eyes to a whole new world. The gig is this Mrs. X is getting the house remodeled and I get to upgrade everything after 15 years. So here goes my thinking so far....
I have 2 kids 5 and 12.
Room 20 wide 12deep 8ft ceilings.

Sony KDS R50 XBR1 SXRD. Is this better than Plasma and LCD My research says yes even with the 1080i issue.
Thoughts please.

Receivers.
Yamaha RX V 2600? Heard really bad customer service and some channel problems.
Denon AVR 2806 or 3806
Onyko TX SR803
Integra 5.6

Speakers.
AXIOM
QS8
VP 100 or 150
EP 125 or 175
I have Boston VR2 from my last set up.

Should I dial down receivers from HDMi as there so many issues?

What do you thinks lads, I am a sponge y'all are great and if you are ever in Charleston SC you can come on over and listen!

Thanks,

Mark

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT Options

I think that the Yamaha RX-V2600 and Denon 3806 or 2807 are great receiver options for your system.

It sounds like you will be using your old mains for the HT, correct?
I would take advantage of the opportunity to buy the matching Axiom M22 bookshelf or M60 floorstander speakers for the mains. For HT, it is important to have a timber match between the front and center channels and sticking with a single manufacturer is the easiest way to achieve this. You can use the old speakers in another room with the zone2 feature of the new receiver.

Like you suggested, you could save money buying a Yamaha 2500 or Denon 3805 and put the funds in the speaker budget.

Also, many prefer the performance of the entry level subs from SVS or HSU vs. the entry level Axiom subs.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony would be cheaper, bigger box, and bulb replacements. A plasma is really nice. LCD is expensive but nice as well. I’m a little frugal so I’d go with the Sony, but if I didn’t mind the added expense I’d go for the plasma.

Those receivers will all be good. Don’t worry about the Yamaha, it’s an excellent unit. I’m partial to the Denons.

The Axioms are nice but why not add on to your BAs. I’d go with a different sub though, something from SVS, HSU, or Velodyne maybe.

M

march222

Audiophyte
JcPanny and AVRat,
I appreciate the thoughts, I will investigate the BAs alternatives, I really liked the idea of the Axioms because of the reviews in Audioholics, and did not realise timbre would make such a difference.

As far as a Plasma screen is concerned, a AV installer i know said with 2 small children he felt that a plasma was too delicate, and I liked the idea of 1080 resolution. All the plasma i have seen are not 1080 rated.

i will only get one shot to renew for the next 10 years so i want to get it right!

Any suggestion for the plasma i had looked a 42 Hitachi.

Regards

Mark

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
LCD options

I know that they have 1080P LCDs out but not sure about plasmas. I am pretty sure that all plasmas and LCDs have a piece of glass on the front, so I don't know how they could be "more delicate" than a rear projection set, especially when wall mounted vs. a stand.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If you can wait 4-6 months, we should see how the 1080p issue shakes out for the new model year TVs. Prices will also come down on last years models during this time. As far as delicacy goes. even Sony recommends anchoring the display to avoid tipping. In this age of technology, it’s difficult to plan for the next 10 years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis