A

andre roy

Audiophyte
Hey all. I've been researching powered subs for my HT for the last six months now. I knew I needed two of them to have quality bass in my room. So, what to do? Buy two cheap subs in one fell swoop and get so so results, or be patient, save up for a long time, and get a quality product. Well, I went with the latter, and I'm glad I did. I'm physically disabled, so I don't move around much (my back is shot), so I spend a lot of time at home. My theater room is about 400 square feet, and I'm running a 5.1.2 Atmos setup so far. I will be at 5.2.4 in the future God willing, but for now I'm satisfied. Anyways, back to the sub. I decided to finally pulled the trigger on an SVS PC-2000. I read pretty much all the reviews there is on this unit. One of the important deciding factors was the Audioholics review of the PC a while back. You guys can have faith in Gene and his crew. They nailed the review. Listen, it's not like I never had a sub before. I just never had an SVS before. My last one was a diy affair. I built a sealed enclosure that housed a 15 inch X-MAX woofer, good wires and quality connections, and acousta-stuff, the works. Pushing it was a 900ish watt amp with parametric eq. It was decent quality bass. Not that much in terms of output, but good quality for movies, and especially music. Well, I knew the woman was gonna go shopping sooner or later, and she did yesterday. I was waiting for her to get out the house, so I could let this thing loose. Wow! I thought I had a good quality sub before, boy was I in for a surprise. Hats off to SVS. It's no wonder these guys win so many awards. For a twelve inch woofer, this unit is impressive! What is amazing is the speed and depth of the bass itself. I've heard much louder, but bloated bass. All you could hear was low definition boom boom. Listen, don't pass this PC-2000 up, if you want quality high def bass in a package that only takes up 16 1/2 inches of floorspace. Thank you Audioholics team for the deciding review. All I have to do now, is save up , so I can complete my theater with another one. Peace.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PC-2000 is a great sub, glad you enjoy it! I wish cylinders were more popular. They are certainly a lot easier to deal with physically.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dang, now I've got the cylinder sub upgrade bug, want to replace a pair of Definitive Technology ProSub 800's with SVS PC-2000's :eek: for approx. 3100 cu. ft room. Have never used down-firing sub, am I in for a treat or more problems?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dang, now I've got the cylinder sub upgrade bug, want to replace a pair of Definitive Technology ProSub 800's with SVS PC-2000's :eek: for approx. 3100 cu. ft room. Have never used down-firing sub, am I in for a treat or more problems?
Down-firing doesn't really behave any differently than front-firing or side-firing. I am sure the PC-2000 sounds the same as the PB-2000.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do it! :D
Agree with Shady, firing orientation shouldn’t alter SQ. Should perform great in your room.
It was a DT salesperson that tried to sell me on SVS subs... I’m thinking they will perform better. :p

A

andre roy

Audiophyte
I haven't had the privilege to hear the PB in person, but I watched Tomb Raider(2018) on blu-ray last night, and I got goose bumps quite a few times. The best part is, I know it isn't even broke-in yet. It's going to keep on getting better with time. Absolutely no buyer's remorse. Lovin' it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I haven't had the privilege to hear the PB in person, but I watched Tomb Raider(2018) on blu-ray last night, and I got goose bumps quite a few times. The best part is, I know it isn't even broke-in yet. It's going to keep on getting better with time. Absolutely no buyer's remorse. Lovin' it.
It isn't going to change much over time, and it will not sound better by itself. If you want improved sound, experiment with positioning or look at getting a second, with the aim of smoothing out room modes. Also look at EQing peaks if you can measure the room response. 'Break in' will do very little to alter the sound.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm glad your enjoying it! I'm planning on buying 2 for my new bedroom set up I'll for sure let you fellas know what I think when I do that!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that'd be a huge improvement. I believe you're in for a treat.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
T
I'm glad your enjoying it! I'm planning on buying 2 for my new bedroom set up I'll for sure let you fellas know what I think when I do that!
Replacing the RSL? Or did you have a PB3000 going? I know you have the PB4000 twins. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
T

Replacing the RSL? Or did you have a PB3000 going? I know you have the PB4000 twins. :)
I did have an sb3000 going it was impressive but I just wanted to try it out. I like the RSL but this will definetly satisfy my thirst for bass in my room lol. I'm such a bassaholic.
The 4000 will be set up in the theater room. Start building I think on the first of August. Is when were starting . I've always been fascinated with those cylinders tho and this is just a good excuse to get my hands on em
:D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve had a PC-2000 for some years now and it sounds great. I like down firing in general as with kids in the house, it greatly reduces the chances of damage to the woofer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
Big fan of the SVS cylinders. Started with a PB-1000 but wasn't enough for my 3200 sqft living room with limited floor space. The PC-2000 fit in the same space as the PB-1000 and was a marked upgrade. Then I got addicted to bass. Moved to a PC-12 Plus, then dual PC-12 Pluses, then dual PC-4000s which I love almost as much as my children. They all occupied the same floor space. The cylinder shape is polarizing but I personally really like it.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Always wondered how svs pc series subs would behave if there is a thick rug under them. Like 2-3 inches?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Always wondered how svs pc series subs would behave if there is a thick rug under them. Like 2-3 inches?
I’d say exactly the same.

Actually, that might be a little tall. I forgot the new ones don’t have the baseplate like mine. Go to Home Depot and get a 16” table top for 5 bucks and paint to taste and set it under to pc. It will sound punchier too. No, I’m kidding about that. But I have used baseplates under other down firing subs. No difference.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis