New Subwoofer, Old Receiver

M

Mit Man

Audiophyte
I recently got a new subwoofer but our old receiver does not have any kind of subwoofer inputs. This doesn't seem to be a problem for most people, but our subwoofer has a Line Out output that uses an RCA Cable. The receiver only has speaker cord inputs (4 front, 2 rear, 1 center). Is there any way I can go from the RCA cable to the speaker inputs?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Your receiver needs to have some type of pre-out. What receiver do you have? I will see if I can help.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Outputs? Inputs? Wha???

First, let's get the terminology and signal flow straight. You need an OUTPUT from your receiver to the subwoofer's INPUT.

Are you quite sure the receiver doesn't have an "LFE" output?

If your receiver has preamp outputs, you have a fighting chance if your new subwoofer has a right and left rca jack type inputs. You can use this option.

If your receiver lacks these, then your subwoofer must have a pair of speaker level inputs.

If all the subwoofer has is one lonely RCA jack for an input, you're screwed. If your receiver don't have preamp outs and the subwoofer doesn't have speaker level inputs, you're equally screwed.

If these aren't possibilities, let's hope you can exchange that subwoofer for something you can use.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think you have the terminology backwards. Receivers have a line-level subwoofer output and the sub has a line-level input (Used with a cable terminated with an RCA connector, as you mentioned).

Your receiver doesn't have the subwoofer out, so you can only use high-level output ("speaker level"). If the sub has speaker level inputs, then connect the speaker wires from the L/R speaker outs of the receiver to the sub and then from the sub speaker outs to the speakers. If the sub doesn't have speaker outs, then there is nothing you can do. Most subs have both line-level and speaker inputs and speaker outs, unless it is a new sub such as the SVS PB10-ISD that ONLY has line-level in.

M

Mit Man

Audiophyte
Line Level Input*, my bad. But yeah, that's all it has on the back, and all my old TEAC AG-V3020 Audio/Video receiver has on it is the speaker cord outputs.

Sounds like it isn't gonna work, I think we need a new receiver anyways...

Well, thanks for the help!

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
There are a couple of options to hold you over till you get a new receiver. First of all, you can connect the sub to your DVD player's analog output. You could also hook it up to the receiver via the tape/record loop out (is that the correct terminology?) if it has one.

Of course, since neither of these outputs is variable, you will have to adjust the gain on the sub when you change the volume on the receiver. At least you will be able to use the sub till you spend the cash on a new receiver.

M

Mit Man

Audiophyte
Well, while that would work for DVDs, this entertainment system down here is mostly video games and computer music. Any DVD's usually go through a PS2...

I'm thinking my dad will get a new receiver, he just got these speakers, a decent receiver shouldn't be that much more

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis