New Stereo Setup Advice

dnice555

dnice555

Audioholic
Hi All,

I'm looking to build a stereo setup based off some of the equipment that I already have. I have some silly questions that will probably be layups for most of you. I really appreciate the help in advance.

I have a few different sized room options available that I'm going to have an in-law do some treatment on. I'm not sure if any other preliminary info would be helpful.

I have a pair of Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs. Based on my beginner style research, it looks like these might be more geared towards home theater but would fair alright with music. I have a Halo A51 amp that I got for a steal off audiogon. Given that it's a 5.1 channel amp, are there any downsides to using it in a stereo setup vs a 2.1 amp? Right now I don't have a subwoofer but I'd be open to any suggestions (would like to keep under $1,000 unless of course there's a gem that would fit my setup well at $1,500 or something like that).

Also in my random assortment of gear is a Emotiva BasX MC-700 processor with a bluetooth attachment. Could I use this as a preamp? Would this also work as a DAC? I can't find anything on the Emotiva's site about a DAC. It does mention "stereo" and "headphones" so it sounds like it'd at least work as a preamp. I realize I'm like a child wandering into a movie on this one. Emotiva's site also mentions it has bluetooth 3.0 (Aptx) so I believe I could stream AmazonHD (should I be using a different service?) right from my phone. It mentions USB but only for firmware updates. I'm thinking I might be out of luck for the USB laptop connection for better quality but I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'm not even sure if this has a DAC or can handle 24 bit 192khz. If it doesn't work as a DAC, I looked at a bunch of streamers ranging from the blusound node 21 to the NAD M10 & Naim Uniti Atom (which would both nullify all my equipment except for the speakers).

I have a bunch of CDs (always wanted SACDs but never pulled the trigger). I have zero vinyl. I mostly stream now from amazonhd.

It's been a while since I've had the new gear bug but I usually get all my cables and wire from Audioquest + Blue Jeans.

Thanks again for any help and suggestions,

Dave

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, you can use the MC-700 as a DAC or pre-amp, even for a stereo system.

As for subs, I would recommend getting two good subs over one big one. In your budget I would be looking at a pair of Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 subs, Hsu VTF-2 mk5s, SVS PB-2000s or PC-2000s, or Monoprice Monolith THX 10"s or 12"s.

If you like the sound of the MartinLogan ESLs, might as well keep em. You might demo other speakers just to see what is out there, since the ESLs have such a peculiar sound.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Dave, how big is your room ? Your Logan Electromotion ESL's are fine speakers, albeit small and not suited for larger rooms IMO. As for ESL's peculiar sound that shady eluded to I'm not sure what he meant. I agree, if the room allows a couple of 10" or 12" subs makes sense.

tell us more about the room in which the gear will reside

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW the Halo A51 is a 5ch power amp, no accommodation for a sub particularly. Using ESLs may take special room positioning consideration, but should work fine. Generally better streaming is done in conjunction with an internet/local network connection rather than just bluetooth but the MC-700 has no particular capability but you could easily add a streamer to do the processing, and could still use the dac in the MC-700 by connecting it digitally with hdmi or spdif optical or coax (or some streamers could provide dac and you could use analog connections).

dnice555

dnice555

Audioholic
Dave, how big is your room ? Your Logan Electromotion ESL's are fine speakers, albeit small and not suited for larger rooms IMO. As for ESL's peculiar sound that shady eluded to I'm not sure what he meant. I agree, if the room allows a couple of 10" or 12" subs makes sense.

tell us more about the room in which the gear will reside
Thank you Sir. I have a large room that sounds like it wouldn't be the best for the setup. The other room is 15 feet by 13 feet. I also have a small office nook that is 7 feet by 7 feet. That's good advice from you and Shady on the two subwoofers, I would not have thought of that.

dnice555

dnice555

Audioholic
FWIW the Halo A51 is a 5ch power amp, no accommodation for a sub particularly. Using ESLs may take special room positioning consideration, but should work fine. Generally better streaming is done in conjunction with an internet/local network connection rather than just bluetooth but the MC-700 has no particular capability but you could easily add a streamer to do the processing, and could still use the dac in the MC-700 by connecting it digitally with hdmi or spdif optical or coax (or some streamers could provide dac and you could use analog connections).
Good point on the Halo Amp, I didn't realized one (or two) of the channels couldn't be used to power a subwoofer. I'm wondering if a monoblock amp (not sure if I'm using the correct terminology) would be the best bet. Is there a top quality connection out of the hdmi, optical, or coax?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think 13' x 15' would be fine, remember di-pole speakers need room to 'breath'. The panel should be at a min 2-3' out from the wall, 4-6' is ideal.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Good point on the Halo Amp, I didn't realized one (or two) of the channels couldn't be used to power a subwoofer. I'm wondering if a monoblock amp (not sure if I'm using the correct terminology) would be the best bet. Is there a top quality connection out of the hdmi, optical, or coax?
If you go with powered subs this won't be an issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the subwoofers are a passive model and of reasonable sensitivity you could conceivably use the A51 to power them, but commercial passive subs are somewhat rare, altho common with diy subs. A monoblock amp is just an amp with one channel only, not particularly necessary for a sub unless you just have one sub (and a sufficiently powerful amp could even handle two subs). HDMI has more capabilities for audio codecs/bandwidth than optical/coax (basically optical/coax is limited to lossy 5.1 vs hdmi being able to handle lossless 5.1 and beyond).

dnice555

dnice555

Audioholic
Thank you gentlemen! Sounds like I need to get to work picking out a streamer and a couple subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis