New speakers, what to choose...

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Hi everybody and thank you for admitting me to the community.
I'm moving pretty soon in my new house and I'm looking to set up my first home theatre. Unfortunately I don't have a big budget so I'm trying to find the best for my wallet.
To room will be 15x15 ft and the AV receiver will be a new Yamaha rx-a760.
Speaker wise my budget will be around 800/900 dollars for the 2 front, central and 2 surround. I was looking at klipsch, r-15m for the two front, r-25c for the central and r-14s for the surround.
What do you guys think, there is a better way to spend my money on speakers? Something on the same price level that offer a better quality?
Thank you so much for your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where's the subwoofer budget? :) Kinda skinny budget for the whole speaker/sub setup, assuming this is for home theater use (i.e. primarily movies). If $900 is your max, and not caring much for the Klipsch, I'd think about maybe something like a pair of Ascend 170SEs and a Rythmik L12 to start (and you can buy the bundle from Ascend) and add a 340SE center when you save some more money then think about surrounds after that.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There's a couple dozen choices of systems in the same price range. What you haven't mentioned is subwoofer, a very critical part of surround sound.

What systems have you HEARD?

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Thank you guys for the fast responses. I already have 2 10" drive Bic America as sub. My 800/900 dollars budget is only for speakers and I would like to complete everything in one time.
In the future for sure I will update everything but for now I have to complete the project with this money.
the only speakers I heard were definitive technology at Best Buy but I didn't really like them. I'm living in Modesto CA and I moved here from Italy few months ago and I dont have any idea of where to go to hear other options, and honestly even if I will find them, because I'm not an expert I will probably not be able to tell the difference. I just want to make sure to spend my money in the best way and trust you guys that are expert and know what are you talking about.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that case, even tho I'd down the line consider better subwoofage, I'd change my recommendation to four of the 170SEs and a 340SE center, maybe even their b-stock if available to save some money; maybe the 200SEs for surrounds if they need to be on-wall. No audition as they're internet-direct unless you find someone willing to let you listen to theirs (unless you're planning to travel to southern California soon and can visit them).

I'd suggest a visit to the SF Bay Area to have a shot at more chances to audition B&M store offerings....I mostly rely on internet-direct sellers, tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw this ad, shipping puts it beyond your budget but generally well-liked speakers

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Just saw this ad, shipping puts it beyond your budget but generally well-liked speakers
Not a really big fan of used things... I like more the idea of supporting Californian company like ascend.
You think are this the best that I can buy for the money? What's the difference with clipsch?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a really big fan of used things... I like more the idea of supporting Californian company like ascend.
You think are this the best that I can buy for the money? What's the difference with clipsch?
I find Klipsch on the harsh side and somewhat fatiguing. I have several models of Ascend and like them very much (I have 170SE, 200SE and Sierra 1 with NrT), great company to deal with. OTOH used speakers tend to be very good deals if they're in good shape, speakers can last a very long time....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aside from the Philharmonic AA speakers....maybe EmpTek, SVS, Chane and HTD for internet-direct speakers with models in your price range....

ps Keep in mind price is somewhat important, but how the speakers sound to you in your room will be the deciding factor....

H

heroesunplugged

Audioholic Intern
I'd also look into Elac. They give you a trial and if you're meticulous and keep things looking new you'll benefit from their 30 day trial for in home audition. They pay return shipping if you're not sold that they're for you. You should receive a full refund if they are like new condition. The new UniFi series has gotten some good press from several people in the industry. I have never heard or used them, but have contemplated buying from them if I ever buy brand new speakers. I'm in the vintage/used camp because I get to try out many different speakers without a huge budget. They all sound different and different in various setups. Speakers have the most overall influence on sound quality.

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Ok guys looks like I will probably go with Ascend CMT-340 for the front and central speakers and HTM-200 SE for the surrounds.
I'm going a little over my budget in this way but not to bad and I will probably be more happy in the future.
Please, if anyone of you have some general advise I will be happy to read all of them, I'm an absolute beginner and every advise at this point is like gold. Thank you so much.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Aside from the Philharmonic AA speakers....maybe EmpTek, SVS, Chane and HTD for internet-direct speakers with models in your price range....

ps Keep in mind price is somewhat important, but how the speakers sound to you in your room will be the deciding factor....
I second the Chane recommendation. Jon Lane is offering a $19 shipping promo. That means, any and all speakers ordered from Jon the shipping will total only $19! The OP's room is NOT that much bigger than mine. I would think that (3) of the new A2.4's across the front LCR with the new A1.4's in the rear would be absolutely AWESOME! The total would be a bit over the OP's budget coming in at $1115 delivered. Shipping is supposed to start the 3rd week of August! If the OP can't up his budget slightly, then I would opt for (3) of the new A2.4's in a LCR coming in at $796! Then, get a set of the A1.4's as soon as possible. Here is a link:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/loudspeakers/chane-loudspeakers

Like I said, whatever amount of Chane speakers being ordered right now the total shipping for said speakers is ONLY $19! His A5 towers are still on sale too I do believe. Best of luck to the OP making his decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis