NEW speakers' SETUP

F

Firehorse

Audiophyte
Hi folks..
After like 15 years of not actively persuing audio electrics and stuff I've really forgotten heaps. Some basic electronics is there. What a shame..

So now I need to rely on total strangers to help me out here with this audioholics business. Any help greatly appreciated. Wow. Look at those amps..those curves..ooohh. Sooo smooth. These truly are great days in audio. I can happily build pretty much or get what I want with audio gear. There's a lot to cover with new gear, but I'm glad and sometimes @#$% cheesed off by some stupid idiot clone device..

Anyway, I have just begun my first (after a long break) speaker set upgrade. The package includes 2 Welling brand 4 way towers, 2 bookshelfs, and a center. NO. Welling do not include a passive inductor in the speakers.NO, you dont need midrange support. Geesh. I hope I dont hear this when looking for AMP's..
Geesh. RRP $2000 ??? For real. (Oh, no, you'll have FULL POWER that way). CRICKEY ! That's sales for ya..

Talk about cheap production.. Anyways, I bought these speakers dirt cheap cos the guy just wanted to get rid of them BECAUSE the guy who sold them to had his AMP blow out. So out the door they go..

Brings em home and the drivers are all OK, enclosure, terminals, etc.. TOP NIK.

Now I am totally wiped out, cos' here are 4 way drivers. The hard part is to decide if the speaker setup should be 3 way with 2 woofers in parrallel, OR set it up as a 4 way.

From here I need help.. Are there any sonic advantages to 4 way setups ?

By the way, 7.5" WOOFER is up top, then a 1" TWEETER, 5" MID, then another 7.5" WOOFER at the base. enclosure height = 3.4 feet x 12" wide-ish.

There may be many configurations and adjustments but for all I know, this setup could be already useless or a total nightmare to configure..

I want an active system (3 or 4 way active XO's & 8 x AMp's)

Any advice and experience is highly appreciated.

Thanx,
Adrian.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Firehorse said:
SNIP
Anyway, I have just begun my first (after a long break) speaker set upgrade. The package includes 2 Welling brand 4 way towers, 2 bookshelfs, and a center.

SNIP

Now I am totally wiped out, cos' here are 4 way drivers. The hard part is to decide if the speaker setup should be 3 way with 2 woofers in parrallel, OR set it up as a 4 way.

From here I need help.. Are there any sonic advantages to 4 way setups ?
Wow. I seriously doubt you'll find many people on this board who bi-amp their speakers, much less quad-amp them-that sounds like a financial and cabling nightmare. Just the thought of buying that much 10 or 12 gauge would make me run screaming, nevermind the four amped channels per speaker, and the crossovers.

Personnally, I'm not a big believer in getting dollar value from bi-amping, and I certainly don't see any advantage at all to bi-wiring. I've looked at the Welling website and couldn't really tell if they are running 4 sets of 5 ways on the back of their towers or not; nor could I tell if the bookslf and center speakers were 2, 2.5, or 3 way setups. Could you give us a little more info on the speakers themselves? I'm not familiar w/ the brand.

Bryan...like, what are the model numbers...

F

Firehorse

Audiophyte
SPEC's for speakers

woofwer says 50/70 11 OHMS w200rs5403s75w

I wont take the other drivers out, I've tried to find a relationship to do with those bunch of numbers, but maybe someone may know..

Cheers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis