new speakers /info overload

B

Bravo16

Audiophyte
I'm new to this ,never owned a Home theater sistem before. I know ,where have I been? I just after some basic research I bought a Harman Kardon AVR 330 .I'm looking to buy a speaker package . I went to the local Sound Advise.
store ,they sudgest Polk RTI towes wit center speaker sub and sattelites. total cost 2300 hundred .I started with a 500 dollar budget ,it looks like I have to spend more. If someone out there could give me some imput It would be apreciated .I'm looking at Wharfedale ,Aperion,Fuance ,Athena and Mission? Would like to narrow the list. Would be using sistem for home theater more than music. Room is aprox 18x17 and 10 ft high .It is in the ctr of house ,two floors,so there is entrie to formal wit 22 ft catheral ceiling and stairway to second? : What is best

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
The system that has been recommended to you is a good one. Athena may be the best bang for your buck in that group. Basically, since you have a large room, make sure you buy large main speakers and a large sub. A fairly large center channel wouldnt be bad either. Buy what sounds best!

U

Unregistered

sub/sat

i would not buy that polkaudio system if i were you. the main channels are 20-250 watts and your reciever is 55watts times 7. i would go for a sub/sat that has a farely robust subwoofer like the encore system. it has 4 4 inch sats. with 1 inch tweeters with a 2 4" center with a tweeter and a 600watt 8 inch sub. you could order 2 more encore sats. to complete the 7.1 system.

another choice is the velodyne deco system, audioholics did a review on that one so you can read up and see how it could fit you. 1200 watt 8 inch suboofer and 5 4inch sats. with 1 inch tweeters.

so there are a couple of choices for you to look at, the encore system will fit you budget better then the velodyne, but the velodyne will be better for a big room.

T

Tizeye

Enthusiast
Which model Polks. That seems very high. Couldn't even find Polk tower systems on Polk's web site for that much as they were well down in the $1200 range on their tower system - but didn't appear to be the current RTi.

NOTE: Polk price controls, so they should be the same everywhere. That said, I saw bookshelf RTi4, RTi6 centers and surrounds marked down yesterday at circuit city. I just think they are to industrial looking with the plastic gray borders on the grill....plus, the clamshell surrounds (don't get me started.)

While an earlier post noted the lower power of the HK 330, don't worry about it. HK for some unknown reason understates and appears non-competitive within it's class. HK measures on a continuous load, where others are 1 channel driven and they are not directly comparable.

With independent retailers (not big box stores) you should be able to negotiate prices on a complete set - and that includes Sound Advice - 10-20% off list. I would go to other's in your area. Do a dealer search off manfacturers web site (Paradigm, NHT, PSB etc) to find local dealer, audition, get competitive qoutes. Also, Best Buy (Athena) and Circuit City (Polk) have generous 30 day return policy without restocking. May want to do an in-home side by side etc. Also, Aperion and Axiom - both mailorder - have 30 day trials, but you have to pay return shipping.

Last edited:
T

Tizeye

Enthusiast
I think I figured out the $2300 system. Since prices are the same everywhere, I looked at Crutchfield - which is an option if Sound Advise doesn't negotiate and you like the system. Free shipping (except tower) and no sales tax (depending on State) and liberal 30 day return with prepaid shippng (less tower) may provide discount that Sound Advice hedges on. It appears that the system was RTi10 towers @ $960; 404 sub @ $400; CSi5 center @ $400; and FXi5 surround @ $500. That leaves $40, and the sub could be the new 505 which is $100 more than the 404.

The big question is both the subs and towers combined. The lower frequency range of both is almost the same, 32hz for the sub and 35 hz for the tower. You may be able to economize by deleting the sub, or keeping the sub - which is a decent sub - and going to a smaller tower (RTi8 @ $700) or even a large bookshelf on a stand (RTi6 @ $380). Also, potentially consider the smaller surround CSi3 @200.

Perhaps go back to sound advice and listen to those combos.

B

Bravo16

Audiophyte
narrowing down the search

I have listened to Athena,(good bang for the money) Kiplish,( think Athena is better) Polk vs ATHENA ,there is the question . At first I heard RTI8, RTI10AND LIKED THE SOUND RTI12. They wanted 540 dollars per speaker at Sound Advise. They moved me to their "higher end Polklistening room LSI 15 And LSI25/expensive .The LSI 15 sounds nice better than RTI12 .They have an incorporated Sub. They pass the WIfe test still a bit to expencive for what I wanted to spend . It looks like the Athena might be the deal for my champagne taste on a beer budget. How would the Athenas stack against the Axiom or Mordaunt Short 900 or Aperion Intimus towers ? :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis