New Speakers Hit Max Volume Quickly by Accident - Any Concerns?

C

classic_erik

Enthusiast
My 4 year old son was playing with my phone and accidentally slid the volume via AirPlay to my Marantz SR7015 to the MAX (literally). My new Dynaudio Evoke 20 speakers BLASTED for about 3-4 seconds before I could get to it to turn down the volume. It was truly disturbing to me but we will survive.

I don't believe the speakers blew - I don't hear distortion or buzzing. They sound fine.

That said, I am still concerned about any potential damage my brand new speakers took on that is not noticeable yet.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My 4 year old son was playing with my phone and accidentally slid the volume via AirPlay to my Marantz SR7015 to the MAX (literally). My new Dynaudio Evoke 20 speakers BLASTED for about 3-4 seconds before I could get to it to turn down the volume. It was truly disturbing to me but we will survive.

I don't believe the speakers blew - I don't hear distortion or buzzing. They sound fine.

That said, I am still concerned about any potential damage my brand new speakers took on that is not noticeable yet.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
I think you got away with it. A short burst like that would most likely cause mechanical damage. I doubt that short time would be enough to heat the voice coils.
Mechanical damage would be audible right away.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It’s time to set a volume limit in the receiver before it happens again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s time to set a volume limit in the receiver before it happens again.
Zactly.
Setup>speakers>volume>limit
Set to -20. My 19yo is home from school and he listens to some material that has serious low end hits. The system will handle it but I pucker up because he has no regard until it’s too late. Lol
It’s only a few button pushes, so when I wanna push it I can. NO IM NOT A HYPOCRITE!!!!! Lol

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Zactly.
Setup>speakers>volume>limit
Set to -20. My 19yo is home from school and he listens to some material that has serious low end hits. The system will handle it but I pucker up because he has no regard until it’s too late. Lol
It’s only a few button pushes, so when I wanna push it I can. NO IM NOT A HYPOCRITE!!!!! Lol
No, your a Dad!

C

classic_erik

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone; this is all relieving to read. Sounds like I dodged a bullet. I'll add a volume limit to the Marantz today.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis