New Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray Unveiled at Best Buy

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Best Buy seems to be promoting a new Blu-ray player for Samsung. Perhaps the retailer has some special insights into Samsung’s product line. Without the usual advance warning from the manufacturer a new Samsung BD player has suddenly appeared on Best Buy’s website.

Discuss "New Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray Unveiled at Best Buy" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
no PS3 killer

I can't for the life of me understand why companies don't realize that if they want to sell a player, especially new model it should be better speced out than current offerings. OK, OK it has a more capable scaler (courtesy of Silicon Optix and analog 7.1 output. As for the video processing we will have to see how it is implemented; I forsee a AH's review. No question there are folks out there who only want a Blu ray player and not a game platform to boot but those early adopters are typically the people who want lots of features and are also typically younger. That crowd also happens to be the ones who typically buy a game platform. Don't see any BD player making any headway into the market with a $500 offering that "on paper" really does nothing more than a $400 player does. Maybe that's why Samsung is not touting it?

I can't imagine this player not being firmware-updateable to BD-Live, however they should have touted that when they released it... or touted anything really...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So are all the other players with similar capabilities / features.
Hey John, what makes this player so special? Is it better than a PS3? As you know, I plan to buy a player soon of some sorts. Now, this one comes out and is a bit cheaper than the Panny and Sony offerings. Is this player really worth the $500 they are asking for it?

Cheers,

Phil

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey John, what makes this player so special? Is it better than a PS3? As you know, I plan to buy a player soon of some sorts. Now, this one comes out and is a bit cheaper than the Panny and Sony offerings. Is this player really worth the $500 they are asking for it?

Cheers,

Phil
One of the main traits of Sammy players that people like is the Silicon Optix HQV for sd playback. Id venture to guess this is the most important element in getting people to buy Samsung.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
One of the main traits of Sammy players that people like is the Silicon Optix HQV for sd playback. Id venture to guess this is the most important element in getting people to buy Samsung.
Yes, that is one of them for sure. However, I guess it may also be the price point that Samsung is targeting. Guess, I need to consider this one as well. Thanks for the info Jost.

Cheers,

Phil

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
my point is the avrage joe is not gonna spend a weeks pay on it

N

ned

Full Audioholic
It probably doesn't decode DTS HD MA:

1. It uses the BCM7440 chipset which is not capable of decoding DTS-HDMA.
2. Manual is states that DTS-HD is not decoded (page 36 in the audio settings table and look for PCM row).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would say the analog outs and the HQV would be the big thing, but if it doesn't do DTS-HD then that would mean it probably isn't going to sell well at $500.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis