N

Nyates

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am what most people would call a &quot;poor college student,&quot; but my addiction to home theater equipment doesnt give up that easily. I have been putting together a system the last 6 months, and have come to the question of which reciever to get. Because the receiver was probably going to be the most expensive component, I saved it until last.

I have been looking around on your page and others and had settled on the DA4ES. After reading the new review on your page, and I trust your judgement, I dont think that one is going to be the one. I have also been looking at the Denon 2802 or 3802, the Yamaha RX-V2300 or 1300, and the Sony DA5ES. I only can spend roughly about 500-700 dollars so I am wondering which would be better for my system.

I am running Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3's for the fronts, 2's for the rears, and the Center for the center. The sub is just some down-firing 12&quot; local brand. Decent though. You can check my page at www.geocities.com/nyates55 if you want to see all the specs if it would help.

I have a room that is about 16' X 14' and was just wanting a reciever that would produce clean bass and highs, and would be able to sounds equally well in a new room as I am in college and will be moving in a year. Thanks a lot for any suggestions or recomendations.

Nate</font>

N

Nyates

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am also considering the Pioneer Elite VSX-41. If you have any infor on how it compares, that would be appriciated also.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>

Hello!

This crap about how BAD the SONY STR-DA4Es is really making me sick...

I have had a SONY 4ES and it works really, really well!! Its head and shoulders over a lot of the $500 junk that is out there.

Its quiet at high SPL's and is built very well in comparison to lots of the other stuff out there...

You can get one of these for $641 and less!!

Go listen to the stuff for yourself, and make intelligent decisons.

The stuff about sound damping and ringing cabinets and stuff makes me really smile!! Like this is really going to make the sound sound better to our ears....hogwash.

The 'lower' headroom because of 7 channels, again...very doubtful to my ears...especially if you only run 5.1 and maybe 6.1 at best!

Good luck in your search, just dont be swayed by the 'experts' go listen youself....if you really like an receiver because of sound quality to your ears, the way it looks, the features etc....go for it...if its in your price range then its equally appealing....comparing a 4ES for $641 to a $2K box is a testament to its abilities!!

Have fun!
Alex</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Alex,

If what you say is true, that it's all 'hogwash', why bother buying any quality Receiver?

Just buy a clock radio and connect it to some popular cube speakers. &nbsp;You probably won't hear a difference with that either.

Smiling along with you.

Vin Man</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Vin,

I didnt say its all hogwash...just the crap about missing foam, and ringing etc...

Man, I am glad I kept my booze Acoustic Wave Radio...are you interesed in buying a slightly used 4ES?

Complete with &nbsp;several mods:

1. Low Dielectric Foam filled cabinet. (From Home Depot, $4.99 one can filled the whole dang 4ES).

2. 1/2 Cement Cinder Damping Block. 15 pounds.(Home Depot $2.49)

3. Primary Power Supply Weight Enhancing Kit. (local fishing supply store. 2- 5lb genuine lead weights, complete with insulation.

Now if I remove the DTS 96/24 stuff from the 4ES and add it to the booze Radio, I might have something...

Let me know if your interested!

Smiling More!
Alex</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Man, I am glad I kept my booze Acoustic Wave Radio...are you interesed in buying a slightly used 4ES?

Complete with  several mods:

1. Low Dielectric Foam filled cabinet. (From Home Depot, $4.99 one can filled the whole dang 4ES).

2. 1/2 Cement Cinder Damping Block. 15 pounds.(Home Depot $2.49)

3. Primary Power Supply Weight Enhancing Kit. (local fishing supply store. 2- 5lb genuine lead weights, complete with insulation.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but I can't decide which is funnier: following up that post with an admission that you own Booze speakers, or the mental picture of a 4ES with foam pouring out of the air vents! &nbsp;
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Picture Boy!

I am very happy you enjoyed the post as much as I did making it up!

I wierd sense of humor, and it makes life terrible, especially if you can't afford the high end stuff!!!

Keep Smiling!!
Alex
</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Time for a virtual hug.

Vin Man and Alex, you need to make up and be friends. &nbsp;All the posts are funny, but lets get back to providing people with information. &nbsp;

Stevie D</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hey Steve,

Lighten up, lifes too short, Vin and I are not at odds at all..don'd mis-interpret the post.

I took no offense at what Vin posts, none what so ever...
or for that matter what anyone else posts...its all subjective, like the reviews right??

Alex
(smiling!)</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Alex;

I am just curious, who ever said the 4ES is &quot;bad&quot;?  I don't recall Steve saying this in his review.  Nor do I recall him telling people not to buy the 4ES.  Yes our reviews are somewhat subjective, but they also contain technical facts as well.  We try to keep a good balance between subjective and objective analysis in our reviews while remaining unbiased toward a particular brand or model.  Is it possible that you took many of Steve's conclusions about the units out of context?
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis